beach sand question

iidylii

So my brother moved away from his home town and as a way to bring some of his home town with him we wanted to use sand from our cabin in his tank as his sand bed...its really nice "beach" sand...if he was to wash the sand really well and then let it sit in saltwater for a month or so would it be safe to use? He is worried it will be full of certain metals maybe? it would definitely be a large amount of sand also as he would be using it for a 200 gallon tank just to keep that in mind if it matters or not idk lol...anyways thanks as always...

im also curious as to why it would or would not be ok if you care to share :D

lmforbis

I am assuming this in Minnesota? The sand here is silica which is not a good choice for saltwater.
Maybe he could put some in a nice looking jar.

2quills

I wouldn't use anything other than aragonite in a reef.

I used to use pool filter sand (silica sand) in my cichlid tanks though. Not sure if the quartz would be detrimental to micro fauna in a SW tank or not. Wouldn't chance it personally.

iidylii

I am assuming this in Minnesota? The sand here is silica which is not a good choice for saltwater.
Maybe he could put some in a nice looking jar.
HA! The funny part about that is our cabin where he wanted to get the sand from, is located in the town of silica MN so I think that is definitely a bad choice lmao

I wouldn't use anything other than aragonite in a reef.

I used to use pool filter sand (silica sand) in my cichlid tanks though. Not sure if the quartz would be detrimental to micro fauna in a SW tank or not. Wouldn't chance it personally.
I'll pass that along thanks

beaslbob

although it is recommended to use aragonite sand, simple play sand from home depot has been used in many successful reef tanks. I presume local sand would do just as well. Especially if the tank is balanced out with a macro algae refugium.

my .02

lmforbis

Play sand will contribute to diatom blooms. I’d never use that but beach sand should be fine if it is fresh or thoroughly cleaned.
The negative to beach sand is the things that may come in with it or if it is stored and hydrogen sulfide builds up in it.