Beach sand?

zeromus-x

Probably a stupid question, but if I'm looking for a small amount of sand (figure less than 30 pounds), could I use sand at the beach? I live right off the Atlantic Ocean and scooping up a bucket of it would be easy enough. A bucket of wet sand should be more than enough, and I'd think it'd be somewhat "live sand" as well... obviously not as good as stuff you'd buy, but ocean sand nonetheless.
Barring any legalities, of course.

zeromus-x

Nevermind, search was down (gave me a "Page cannot be displayed") and it's working now, and I see this topic has been discussed to death already. Thanks!

teen

not a good idea. it will contain a lot of impurities. there is also the risk of pesticides and otehr harmful chemicals that run off into the sand. your better off just buying a bag of aragonite sand from your local fish store.
and make sure you buy sand, not crushed coral. not sure if your new to the hobby or not, but its a common beginner mistake.

baloo6969

oh it's totally legal. but it could be the stupidest thing in the world to do. I grew up in NJ down the shore...and ever see those barges going out to sea bairly out of the water, full of garbage...then a few hours later see the same barge come back empty, COMPLEATLY out of the water? well that same "garbage", oils and gass from engines, parasites, bacteria, viruses, and STUFF that washes up in tropical storms...the list goes on and on...you dont want REAL sea sand/water ANYWHERE near your tank...