Beach Sand

bucksducks

Has anyone ever used beach sand for their DSB in an aquarium???
Pros? Cons?
Safe or not safe?
Would it work, I also have sand in my 55gal to seed my new tank. I just hate to spend soooo much money on live sand at the local fish store.
Any ideas?????
Thanks in advance.

sly

Beach sand is not very clean. As the waves crash they leave behind a foam similar to a protein skimmer. This foam collects in the sand which usually has a lot of bacteria present. A lot of ocean trash collects at the beaches and you don't want that in your tank.

socal57che

Originally Posted by bucksducks
http:///forum/post/2808880
I just hate to spend soooo much money on live sand at the local fish store.
Any ideas?????
Thanks in advance.
Use dry sand and let your live rock seed it, or, as you stated, a cup of sand from your 55.

C

crashjt

dont forget about all the boat exhaust and fuel that is spilled near that sand on a daily basis I think sand at the store is well worth the money compared to the risk

el guapo

No beach sand . It has lots of bad stuff in it . Buy the playsand from lowes or home depot and seed it with some live sand from an established tank .

fish4rudy

Cigarette butts, used condoms, syringes and other medical waste. Not to mention all the petroleum and sewage from large ships. Need I say more?

bucksducks

Okay, Thanks for all the info. I have given up on the idea of beach sand. I would not have gotten the sand from our beaches here anyway. I just find it hard to pay sooo much money for SAND.
Everyone wants to sell Live sand. I already have live sand in a 55gal I am moving over. I just wanted plain old aquarium sand that I can seed. (I do not want to use silica sand. Not to offend anyone, I much prefer the aragonite type sand.)
Thanks again for all the info.

teresaq

you can buy dry agra sand cheaper then live sand. google this Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand or Aragamax Sand
T

bucksducks

Bought sand locally. When you add shipping to a heavy weight item, sometimes you end up paying more. Even though gas prices have gone down, shipping prices have not.
Thanks though!

teresaq

there are a few places that dont charge extra for heavy items. I think shipping was under 10 bucks when I bought mine for my 150.
Good you found some local though - good luck
T