Beach water and sand

gilly

I'm in WA and live a few minuets away from the beach. I'm setting up a reef tank and was wondering if I could use filtered ocean water and beach sand in the tank? I realize I would probbably have to adjust the salinity a bit. Has anyone ever tried this?

rcdude1990

i heard not to do it, cause its polluted, i asked this question and ppl said no, i think u shoild mix the salt to b on the safe side
sand im not sure about but i would buy the ones the lfs has

lexluethar

Don't use sand or water from the beach. They both have TONS of bacteria and things that would be detrimental to your home aquarium.

renogaw

well, actually its not TOTALLY unheard of. not the best practice in the world though.
what type of system are you going for, tropical or cold salt tank? if you're going northern atlantic you may actually WANT that bacteria. The sand though can be sorta nasty. Imagine getting cigarette butts, body lotion, soda, food, glass, etc etc etc in your sand. I guess if you filter and filter and filter and boil and do all sorts of stuff it would be fine. BUT if you're doing north atlantic you may want to swim off the beach a while and get the sand from under the water for the bacteria and livestock that live in that water.
Just remember, check with local authorities first. double check for hitchikers in the sand and make sure you know what it is.

gilly

I live on the Olympic Penninsula about 100 miles from Seattle. There isn't a lot of pollution in my area. My tap water is loaded with phosphates so I'm trying to avoid using it. What if I were to run the seawater through a UV sterilizer?
It is going to be a tropical reef tank.

aedeos

sound side or pacific side? Sound is pretty skeezy man. I wouldn't trust any water from it. As for pacific side, it's a little cleaner, but I'd just fill it with tap and start running cleaning agents.

I

innerdragon103

you would run even less of a risk if you just use spring water and ocean salt mix and make saltwater... beach water simply has too many unknown things in it
just imagine you failed to see that little kid scrambling for a bathroom and just runs into the water moments after you start collecting for your fish tank

lion_crazz

I would not put any beach water or sand in my tank. Like mentioned, that is totally different bacteria, especially if you are going to host animals from the Pacific and Indian ocean. Not to mention, this water/sand is also more than likely a bit polluted - Definitely not something I would want in my tank.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Gilly
My tap water is loaded with phosphates so I'm trying to avoid using it.
It is going to be a tropical reef tank.
welcome to the world of RO/DI :)