been away awhile! Need sump advice.

slider101

Ok I would like to add a sump to my 55 gal DT. I have an extra 10 gallon sitting and I thought about getting another 10 gal and having it drilled for a fuge. So I would have a 10 gallon fuge flowing into a 10 gallon sump essentionally adding 15-20 gallons to my 55. The fuge is a no brainer to set up to me but any advice on how to place baffles and design of the sump would be great. I want to place my skimmer of course in the sump and heater. Thanks in advance.

al mc

A couple things to consider:
1. There is always a good debate here about putting your skimmer 'after' the 'fuge' as it may skim out some of the very things that you are trying to grow and have flow into your DT
2. Hopefully the foot print of your skimmer will fit in the 10g
3. Baffles. Most skimmers seem to work best in about 9 inches of water so that would give you the height of the second baffle. Place the first baffle about 1" away from the first leaving about 1" from the bottom of the 10g. and goinf to the top of the 10g. (Some would actually use a series of three baffles but I think you will be pressed for space)

slider101

Thanks for the info. Slight change. I am going to go with a single 20 gal tank and put the fuge in there with the sump. So I am looking for some design info on a 20 gal sump and fuge. I have seen several on here and got ideas but would like to get some opinions also.

tank a holic

if you're pressed for space why not get an external skimmer, put your overflow directly into it and discharge the skimmer directly to the sump / fuge then return it to the tank?