Been out of the hobby for a few years and looking for filter advise

jconly

I put my hobby on hold about 3 years ago when I moved across the country. I'm interested in getting back into it. I have a 90 gal.(not drilled)and oddly enough all my old LR(110lbs)went to a friends tank for safe keeping so to speak. I plan on using this old LR and only want a FOWLR. My question mainly concerns filtration. Previously I used a canister filter and would like to move over to a wet/dry this time around. I know basically nothing of them other than I'll need an overflow box, pump and some other basic items. I'd like some suggestions on which type you would reccomend. Also would one with an inline skimmer be better or should I stick with a stand alone skimmer. Any suggestions and advise to help me better understand what I'm getting into I'd appreciate it.

fedukeford

Wet/drys are pieces of junk. If you have to get an overflow anyway, just go with a nice sump, with a refugium to hold macroalgea, and a good skimmer, and a place to run carbon.
Jordan

maeistero

wet drys are not junk, that's laughable.
i like a bigger wet dry sump with a skimmer in it. a separate refugium works better, is easier to keep tabs on and light.
you could run your overflow into the 'fuge and then trickle to your wet/dry sump.
as far as a place to run carbon, well, that's pretty easy. put it anywhere there's flow or just hang a cheap filter on. you won't run carbon hardly at all anyways unless you don't know what you're doing.

J

jamparty

Originally Posted by maeistero
i like a bigger wet dry sump with a skimmer in it. a separate refugium works better, is easier to keep tabs on and light.
you could run your overflow into the 'fuge and then trickle to your wet/dry sump.
i vouch this
it's exactly what I do.
just use crushed live rock instead of the bio balls :D

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by maeistero
I would not go as far to say they are junk, but they are being "phased out" due to the advancement in more of a "Natural" filtration, IE LS, LR, PS and Fuge is more than sufficient in proportion to size of your tank of course. STILL the bottom census is that WET-DRY media which is mandatory for proper functioning is a contributing factor of NITRATES.