Before & after pics of my Xenia project

dina12

I started putting Xenia on my back wall about 2 months ago. The first 2 pics were taken then - the rest of the pics were taken today - it is even moving to the overflow :)

dina12

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
thats a lot of xenia.

yep - the entire back of my 125 is now covered except under the overflow....need some Xenia??? LOL

reefkprz

Originally Posted by dina12
yep - the entire back of my 125 is now covered except under the overflow....need some Xenia??? LOL
Absolutly not, thats like trying to sell me dandy lions for my lawn as decorative flowers.

dina12

Originally Posted by Rslinger
How do you stick it to the glass
The first few stalks I glued with super glue gel. The rest have spread and attached on their own....it is working out well for me - I am now keeping my LFS stocked with frags :)

taznut

i love xenia... its the only thing that has grown and not eventually started dying... i started with one stalk and now have about 50-60... really cool... i want it to attach to the glass but it just crawls along the rock instead... thats cool though... nice job...

P

pasphotography

Very cool Idea. Keeps the algae off the back and looks Great.
I want some Xenia... If your selling, fraggin, or giving away any let me know. p_schnide@hotmail.com

R

reefernana

That is a cool idea. Mine is the same pinkish-brown color, but I have access to the white and blue, too. It would look really neat to spot put all different colors like that and let them blend together. Hmmmmmmm..........idea! LOL!!!

fishguy56

Originally Posted by dina12
The first few stalks I glued with super glue gel. The rest have spread and attached on their own....it is working out well for me - I am now keeping my LFS stocked with frags :)
Did you super glue under water?

ric maniac

carefull, they migh tstart spreading to the front of the glass lol. wouldnt that suck to wake up and have em all over the front! the invaasion has begun!!

fish addict

I would think they just took the base of the xenia out of the water and put the krazy glue gel on the stalk and stuck it on the back glass.

earlybird

Originally Posted by fish addict
I would think they just took the base of the xenia out of the water and put the krazy glue gel on the stalk and stuck it on the back glass.
Right but doesn't the glue cure instantly when submerged?

gatorwpb

Nice xenia!!
Mine is growing on my side glass. All I did was take the rock on which it was growing and place it next to the glass. Ive been keeping my LFS stocked with xenia as well.

dina12

I super glue them outside of the water...I dry off the base a bit, glue and stick - you have to do this fast since they slime - and when they slime - they stink. There is nothing worse than the smell of coral slime....

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by earlybird
Right but doesn't the glue cure instantly when submerged?
The key is using the super glue gel. It will turn hard in the water, but the gel gives you time to adhere it first. You do need to hold it in place for several seconds to make sure it hardens.