Beginner Filter Question?

ste6168

Ok so i am looking into getting a 75 gallon tank and was talking to the lfs about different filters and they suggested using a magnum350 from marineland, but after researching a little bit i noticed that this is not a bio filter? I was looking at the fluval multi stage304 which has the bio filter feature without adding another part? Thanks in advance...

acrylic51

The first question that needs to be answered is what are you planning on keeping in the 75 gallon tank?

ste6168

well it is pretty much going to be an all fish tank with a clean up crew and maybe a little bit of live coral over time.

acrylic51

For a fish only tank the filter might work ok for you, but you might want to opt at other filtration methods although alittle more costly intially, will serve you better down the road...If your planning on a few corals down the road then definitely the Magnum 350 won't cut it....You will need to look at a skimmer and better filtration for that.....I must say that even a Fish Only tank will benefit from a skimmer as well

ste6168

well if the magnum 350 wont cut it, what about the fluval? will that work, lets base this on the fact that it will be a fish only tank for now, someday down the road i may get corals, but i will worry about that then. Also if i am going to have LR then do i need bio filtration, i was reading in another post that says you dont need it with LR and it will only add to nitrates? Thanks

ste6168

so anyone else have any ideas what i should use, how cant there be 300+ ppl viewing this forum and only 1 replies?

meisacao

I'm new to this too. I have a hang on the back filter, that was not a biological filter. We bought the bio wheel kit to add to the regular filter and it works great. My tank is fish only and I have the hang on the back filter, power head and the skimmer. I also have lr, but i wanted the bio wheel add kit just to be safe.

carshark

Emporer 400 brand new, I have another being used on my 75. Ill sell the new one to you WITH established bio wheels off of my other one if interested.. email me ill sell it cheap to you
aaronmiller_23@hotmail.com i have used an emporer400 and a skimmer for about 9 months, the water is always great, I have a FOWLR and I am converting to a full reef, so I am doing a veru big sump and refugium and have no need for HOB filters anymore..

tunahead

I'm in the same boat,I was wondering what would be the best wet/dry filter.There are so many to choose,I'm still not sure what to buy and it's been 1 month :notsure: :notsure: .Good luck,there are some good guys on this board to help out.

jet fixer

I use a fluval 304 on my 50 gal FOWLR I'm thinking on adding another one to the system to get more flow. I read somewhere I needed 275 GPH for fish and 450 GPH for a reef on my size tank. the same site quoted 675 GPH for reef and 413 for fish only on a 75 gal tank. hope this helps.