Beginner Question about Filtration

clatong

Hello all -
I have a 36 gallon tank, and plan on using roughly 50 lbs of live rock and a 1 inch bed of live sand. I will be using a protein skimmer.
I know that I need a certain amount of water movement. If I used just powerheads to achieve the desired amount, would I need any sort of filtration? From what I've read here and on other sources, I shouldn't need any additional bio filtration, but would my water quality suffer if I didn't use some sort of mechanical or chemical filtration?
Thank you in advance!

beaslbob

I recommend you use macro algaes (in a refugium) to balance out and stabilize the tank.
my .02

clatong

While I appreciate the advice, I'm not sure if that answers the question or not! Should I still use a filter (HOB or Canister), in addition to having all the live rock and live sand (and yes, possibly some macro algae)? Or would my tank appear just as clean with just a skimmer and some powerheads?

spanko

Yes because mechanical filtration will help to remove particulate matter from the water column, and chemical will help to polish the water for that sparkle!!!