beginner to saltwater

catfishcorey

Ok my question to you guys/girls is that i want to set up a saltwater aquarium 10 gallon, but i really havent done anything with saltwater so im a total newbie. My parents are completely againist it so currently im attempting to talk them into as usually once they say something thats the end of it, yet im determened. Any tips on this ^ is greatly appcieated! This reason they say this is due to them once having saltwater yet have problems with it. Ok , so back to the tank... lets start with what i have.
10 gallon aquarium kit includues
the stock hang on back filter for a 10 gallon
heater
stock lights ( can i upgrade the wattage? ) Lights strips btw not the bulbs
i do have another filter if needed? with a spray bar for current
items know needed
live sand
salt stuff
live rock
possibly some base rock if cheeper?
possibly a power head for even more current?
NOTE: Am on a stict budget because i cant work yet so of course minumum income for cutting grass $20 dollars a week so buying as i need or can afford
I am trying to acomplish a tank with 2 clownfish a shrimp some crabs snails easy to mantain coral nothing major like sps just low light coral mushrooms polyps soft coral stuff like that. I want a reef but not over the top stuff just basic and easy to mantain. And not overly EXPENSIVE!!!
Any tips please help ty

btldreef

Welcome.
Any idea what type of tank you have? "Stock" can mean different things depending on the brand and model. It's really important to know what type of filtration you're working with exactly, because some just don't work well for saltwater. Small tanks can get dirty quickly, so a good filtration and good maintenance habits are key.
Getting dry base rock is definitely going to cost you a lot less money. Over time it will become live. If you wanted to speed up how long it takes to become live, you can do all baserock and then add one piece of live rock. The one live rock will seed the rest, especially in a smaller tank.
I do recommend buying actual live sand since you don't need much of it. You can go the route of buying the wet bagged "live sand," but if your LFS has a reef set up, try to buy a cup or two of live sand from it to help seed the tank.
Where are you located? There are many local clubs around the country where you can find good deals on used equipment and live rock from people that are upgrading/downgrading/getting out of the hobby. I've seen people getting out of the hobby sell live rock for as little as $1/lb.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishcorey http:///forum/thread/387050/beginner-to-saltwater#post_3402683
Ok my question to you guys/girls is that i want to set up a saltwater aquarium 10 gallon, but i really havent done anything with saltwater so im a total newbie. My parents are completely againist it so currently im attempting to talk them into as usually once they say something thats the end of it, yet im determened. Any tips on this ^ is greatly appcieated! This reason they say this is due to them once having saltwater yet have problems with it. Ok , so back to the tank... lets start with what i have.
10 gallon aquarium kit includues
the stock hang on back filter for a 10 gallon
heater
stock lights ( can i upgrade the wattage? ) Lights strips btw not the bulbs
i do have another filter if needed? with a spray bar for current
items know needed
live sand
salt stuff
live rock
possibly some base rock if cheeper?
possibly a power head for even more current?
NOTE: Am on a stict budget because i cant work yet so of course minumum income for cutting grass $20 dollars a week so buying as i need or can afford
I am trying to acomplish a tank with 2 clownfish a shrimp some crabs snails easy to mantain coral nothing major like sps just low light coral mushrooms polyps soft coral stuff like that. I want a reef but not over the top stuff just basic and easy to mantain. And not overly EXPENSIVE!!!
Any tips please help ty
Welcome to the site. If all you want are mushrooms, the fish lights are fine, even some Kenya tree coral. Get snails, no crabs. Cerith, Nassarius and nerite...in my 30g I have 20 of each. so don't get three snails and think your set. They live in and on the rock and are not noticed, they do a great job cleaning up. A serpent star would be good too. You won't see it much but they are great CUC (Clean Up Crew) additions.
Live rock...even base dry rock and dry aragonite sand and a small power head. You will need (not right away) a skimmer either a Tunz nano or Aqualife are pretty good. Tunz nano is the best $150.00...Aqualife, $60.00
Get your own Saltwater test kits (master kits are less expensive than purchasing individually) Seachem is what I use.
A small power head $30.00
Salt mix
Hydrometer or Refracometer
Thermometer (sticky on the side of the tank is fine)
An extra utility pump, a tub or plastic can or 5g bucket (mark it fish only) You will need to churn new mixed saltwater 24 hours before you can use it, we do that in a tub or plastic container. The utility pump will keep it churning.
Get RO water from the grocery store...do not use your tap water. With a small tank a 5g jug or two will serve you well. Always use Reverse Osmoses water, don't try and dechlorinate tap water, there is so much in tap water you can't even test for it all, and fish have no need for chemicals like fluoride.
You will need water to start the tank by filling it up, and top off...salt does not evaporate but water does, so between water changes you will have to maintain the water level. Each morning look at your tank and refill it to the original line with fresh RO water (no salt added), this will keep the tank with the same salt level as you began with...Top off
A 10g to 30g tank needs weekly or biweekly water changes to stay healthy. So mix about 3 gallons of RO water with the salt mix and churn the water 24 hours before you use it. Make sure the SG (salt level) is the same. Then remove 3g of tank water and replace with the new saltwater and your done. The CUC (snails and starfish) does the rest. Oh, and get a small mag float to clean the front glass...algae is a part of life and we must keep it off the front glass.
Your parents may have tried saltwater years ago, the hobby has improved, and with online sites like this one that you have found, your chances of keeping a nice 10g SW tank are very good. A 20g to 30g would be much better.
Saltwater tanks, even small ones are not cheap. Gone would be the $5.00 fish. I think the cheapest sw fish runs around $20.00. A bucket of salt mix is around $40.00 to $60.00 which is the cheapest route (bulk) but with a small tank that would last a very long time. You can buy salt mix in a bag for $20.00...with regular water changes you won't need any fancy suppliments, and the right chemical balance is easy to maintain since the salt mix has the balance already set. Do not skimp on the test kits.
Hope this helps

catfishcorey

ok thanks and....
why no crabs?
do i upgrade the light strips on my stock fixture to 50/50 15w bulbs?
anyway i can convince my parents to let me have saltwater instead of the boring freshwater?
thanks