Beginner - want to start a 10 gal. tank - reef/coral/fish

kevl

Hello, I'm interested in starting a new 10 gal. tank. This is my very first salt water tank and am looking for advice as how compatible my desired selections are. I'm looking to add live coral, reefs and a few fish. I understand that 10 gal. isn't much but I also understand that it can be done so i'm curious as to what works in a 10 gal tank. Would these selections be okay?

- One Leather Toadstool 2-4 inches
- One Colt Coral 4-6 inches
- One Chili Coral 2-3 inches
- Three Green Florida Ricordea 3 individual - 1" polyps
- 1-2 True perc clownfish
- 1-2 blue hippo tang (med.)
- Live sand?
- Live rock?

Thanks for the input, again I am very new at this and beginning to do research, read books, post questions etc..

OR, if someone can tell me, if the above doesn't work, a good 10 gal reef/coral/fish setup would be.

gemmy

Please do not put any tangs in your tank. They need 100 gallons to be able to thrive.

monsinour

if you eliminate the 2 blue's you could probably have the 2 clowns. I would also suggest getting a larger tank for your first SWT. Smaller ones are harder to get the water right and maintain.

meowzer

I also don't think I would put 2 clowns in a 10G long term

the 29G would be perfect....for 2 clowns and even a couple of other NANO fish

gemmy

The Bio Cube would be a good beginner tank. I would recommend checking out the nano section on here. There are a few people that have threads going on their bio cubes and would be able to offer advice on the setup.

kevl

Thank you for pointing out that area of the forum! It's been very helpful.
Also, very good forum - glad to know I've found a reliable source for troubleshooting and exploring. I've got much reading and research to do before starting up my tank.

levinjac

I have a 29 gallon and its awsome i have 1 clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 fire fish goby, and 1 yellow wrasse and im even thinking about another clown so ya you could have 5 nano fish

posiden

If a Bio Cube is in your future, please don't shy away from the 10 or even a 5.5 gallon tank. You need a QT tank for your new fish to go into before the DT. You don't want to bring in bad things into your beloved aquarium.

IMO the Bio Cube is a great starter tank. The lighting is good for soft coral and some LPS coral, which is where the beginner should start. You can always upgrade the lighting later on down the road to keep more light demanding corals. There are a few mods you should do to the tank before you add water to it. They will help you big time in the end. Looks and performance wise.

By the way..

QT=Quarantine tank
DT=Display tank.

gilbert

I have an 8 gallon Biocube and it's great. I agree with Gemmy. A medium sized Hippo Tang would barely be able to turn around in a 10 gallon tank, much less live in one. On the other hand, however, I disagree with Monsinour. I have never had a problem with parameters, and especially with your coral list, I doubt you will either. I think in several ways nanos are easier than large tanks, especially if you get one like a Biocube or a JBJ, that come completely set up. You don't have to worry about things like sumps or overflows, which can get confusing if they're all thrown at you at once.

kevl

Thanks again for the feedback all. I've found a good local mom and pop shop in town that specializes in salt water fish and coral. They're going to help me set up a 29g BioCube :). I'll make sure to post pics when I begin setup in a few weeks! Can't wait!