beginner

00kfarzier

I have a 100 gal. Until a few months ago it was freshwater, after a house fire ( tank did not seem affected ) but seal broke 1 month later after workers moved it full of water & all my fish died. I want to convert to saltwater. What do I need to begin?

ajroc31

Alot. A quality filter, protein skimmer, salt, R/O water, power heads, probably a new tank, sand, lots of patience. Base rock, live rock, a cleaning crew, better lights, and millions of additives.

wyldgunz

Youll need to do a lot of researching before you start theres a lot to saltwater tanks and caring for them.
As far as materials youll need a skimmer, powerheads, light power compacts or metal halides(depending on if its fish or a reef tank)
Youll need a substrate like sand or argonite .No crushed coral
Live rock possibly a heater, some kind of filtration mechanical like a canister filter or you can go with a sump/fuge set up.
And of course lots and lots of salt to do your weekly or monthly water changes hehe.
Its a very fun hobby and if you set it up correctly does not require much work. I have a friend who doesnt have the budget to do it and hes got to do everything the hard way , although ive helped him out a lot.

rockies

Originally posted by ajroc31
... and millions of additives.

Some would argue that additives are not really necessary if one has the proper filtration (mechanical, biologicial, chemical), bio-load, and diversity. Some even go as far as letting problems correct themselves rather than adding this or that. I'm trying to stay in this camp. Addititives also depend on what you have in the tank (FO, FOWLR, or coral) as some species need additives (like Calcium).
One member of this board will certainly chime in that plants are a necessity, but that is also debatable (definitely not a bad thing to have though).