benefits of coralline algae?

gio28

i know everybody wants this type of algae to grow in their tank..but why is it so desired? what does it do for the tank besides look cool?

small triggers

great question, personally i like the looks of it, and my triggers dont chew on the areas of LR that have it leaves me less white LR spaces

small triggers

unless you blennie has rasping abilities that no other blennie has then no. The only real things that 'eat' it are urchins. My triggers may when they have no other blank spots to chew on.

ophiura

I wouldn't say it "does" anything for the tank, however growth of it is considered to be indicative of a reasonably well balanced system. It is an indicator more than anything else. Tanks can be successful without it, though an SPS tank could have issues.

120reefer

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3079103
I wouldn't say it "does" anything for the tank, however growth of it is considered to be indicative of a reasonably well balanced system. It is an indicator more than anything else. Tanks can be successful without it, though an SPS tank could have issues.
Yep, in addition, coralline algae produce chemicals that promote herbivorous invertebrates. These in turn keep undesirable algae from growing which would otherwise "smother" the algae, slowing its growth.
Also I think I can remember learning that corallines produce a form of magnesium that is beneficial for reef invertebrates...
. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one though.. been a while since I've opened that text book

i<3reefs

You could buy a parrot fish if you want something to eat it! +1 for more live sand, and -1 for less LR.

stanlalee

the only real benefit is helping hender nuisance algae from taking hold on areas covered by it (which is a major benefit). Does a lot of negative things in regards to equipment and I'm sure it sucks up its fair share of calcium and carbonates.