benefits of uv sterilizer ?

barbiegirl

what are the pros and cons of using a uv sterilizer? i know it is used to kill parasites does it also kill bacteria and algae....can you still have an algae problem using one....also my lfs told me it would make cloudy water (from algae) crystal clear within in 36 hours of introduction to an already cloudy tank. also does it affect nitrate readings and does it mask poor water quality if it does keep it clear....i just thought the purpose of uv sterilizer was for killing parasites....and if you use one do you still need to use r/o water...sorry if the questions seem ridiculously stupid but i really am new and wanting to do things right and get the necessary equipment..also does it do the same job for freshwater as it does for saltwater? Thanks

farslayer

A UV sterilzer usses ultraviolet light to damage the DNA of single-cell algaes and parasites. Your LFS was correct about clearning up water, but only if the water is greenish due to algae, not the cloudiness that is fixed with activated carbon. A UV sterilizer can ruin foods such as zooplex and phytoplex, so do not run it when you are feeding your filter feeders. I run mine about 4 to 6 hours a day to keep the water clear of floating algae and parasites. After I started using one, I have yet to have an outbreak of parasites or green water. Also, you will need to replace your bulb at least once a year, preferrably every 9 months. And yes, they will work wonders on freshwater as well. And no, they do not interfere with the biological filter. Before you get one, make sure that you compare the wattage with your tank size. You also want to use a slower powerhead to get water through the sterilizer as you need to maximize the exposure time of the water to the light. Put your PH on the opposite side of the tank as your sterilizer so that you pump water from one side through the sterilizer and then deposit it on the far side, makes for much more efficient sterilization. I have sterilizers on two saltwater tanks and a freshwater.

barbiegirl

thanks so much for answering my questions....i have 3 freshwater and one saltwater...the saltwater stays pretty clear...my biggest problem with it so far is the little specks on the side of the tank (algae)? that you practically have to use a razor blade to scrape it off......on the freshwater tanks one has cloudy water off and on and the other two stay crystal clear but green stuff grows on the the gravel and plants...what do you mean cloudy from activated carbon? by the way I live in Buckhannon WV....I usually order my livestock and corals from internet websites....any good fish stores in the Charleston area? thanks again

howardcu

How often do you feed your filter feeders now that you use a UV sterilizer? Do you have to feed them more often than before and do they seem to be as healthy? I keep see people trashing UV, but I am thinking the positives outweigh the possible negatives. Plus do the filter feeders really care if the zooplankton is dead or not? Anyway anyone with information about feeding corals and other filter feeders before and after using UV please post. Thanks.