Berlin Skimmer Not Skimming

cruzan277

Hey guys I have a 125 gallon, I have a berlin skimmer in my sump with a rio 2100 pump attached. Did a test before I put it in the sump with a 10 gallon and some of the water did a little stuff. Put in into my sump turned on everything and nothing. The bubles are going but nothing comes out, not even water. Anybody know how I can get this thing to get the crap out of my tank...
Thanks in advance...

adrian

Is this a new skimmer, or is this a new set up? Skimmers have a break-in period of up to a couple months before they will start doing anything, and if the tank is new there may not be anything to skim yet. I have a Berlin classic that I will swear by, but it didnt do much with a RIO 2100, and didnt do much better with a mag 5, but it pulls out coffe colored crap everyday with a mag 7, and I have heard a mag 9 works well also. If its a used skimmer it may need cleaned. I ran mine with the venturi wide open, make sure the venturi is not clogged by the way. You also want to make sure the return from the skimmer is not under water. HTH

cruzan277

Its a used one. Moved from MA to MD and handed in some fish and live rock and got a skimmer and some other stuff. So I guess I should look into a mag 7 then. Tank has been up for about 3 months. When I did my first test I got some crap, so I guess I just need a more powerfull pump. The returns on my skimmer are not under water, but the tubes I have running from them are. Hmmm I wonder if thats the issue.
Thanks for the help

adrian

Since its used I would mix up a batch of 4 parts water, 1 part vinegar, and let the skimmer run in a tub or bucket for an hour or two, this will get all the old gunk out and get it new again, try to force some water through the venturi to get out salt, that is if its really dirty. I think youll be much happier with a mag 7 or 9, you might look into the nine seeing as your tank is bigger than mine. Do some searches and see what people with tanks similar to yours use. The return being under water will cause back pressure and can slow the water flow down. Good luck, once you get it working its a great skimmer.