Best bang for your buck UV?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Steve102571
http:///forum/post/3006742
I need 80-120w for my 750g, but I don't want to have to take out a 2nd mort? What would you recommend?
If you really want UV for a 750; you have no choice but to spend serious $. Just the mechanics of how UV works. BTW, why do you want it? IMO & IME, UV may help with algae (which is why pondkeepers like it) and may help a little with parasites. It will not cure or prevent any disease or parasite outbreak. There is also significant cost (time & money) involved in maintenance. I haven't owned a UV unit in years and can see no reason to get one; other than my love of the toys this hobby/addiction has to offer.

jackri

Ditto -- UV kills indiscriminately good and bad and doesn't kill enough of the bad to warrant it's use IMO.
QT and good housekeeping is the way to go.

small triggers

look for a koi pond UV usually run around $300 + a pump. pondmarket looks like a decent site, though i dont know of anyone who has bought through them specifically,,,

steve102571

From what I understand, UV is only indiscriminate IF you place it before your refug, wet/dry/fluidized bed etc. Given a proper flow rate with adequate exposure time, it should kill free floating paracites and algae, right?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Steve102571
http:///forum/post/3008112
From what I understand, UV is only indiscriminate IF you place it before your refug, wet/dry/fluidized bed etc. Given a proper flow rate with adequate exposure time, it should kill free floating paracites and algae, right?
I don't think UV kills enough beneficial bacteria to be a problem; there is very little of this good stuff in the water column, most is on/in the LR, substrate, filter media. If set up with a proper flow rate and well maintained bulb and housing; it will kill parasites and algae spores. However, because it will only kill the stuff that goes through it, it is a minor help at best. (IMO) If there is one ich bug (for example) that escapes the UV before it finds a home on a fish or the substrate; it will turn into hundreds. I think UV can almost be a problem to some folks, because it provides a false sense of security. I've heard of people skipping QT because they had UV....leading to disaster. UV won't hurt anything, but (IMO & IME) the cost + maintenance time & bulb replacement just don't add up. If a hobbiest knows what to expect up-front and wants to spend the time & money, fine. Just don't expect a disease, parasite, algae free tank just because you have UV. And, to expect UV to cure a problem that already exists (this happens often) is really unrealistic.

steve102571

I agree with all the statements provided thus far. IMO, this is just another piece of equipment that can HELP keep our fish happy and heathly, so why NOT do it. After all, the aquarium environment is all that any or OUR fish have. Thanks. Any other input on this subject would be greatly appreciated, especially if there is some else that would be more beneficial besides a QT, water changes, test kits, refracts etc.