best beginner clam?

I've been doing saltwater for almost 5 months, and I am getting my mh fixture in the next week or so. I want to know what the best "beginner" clam is? One that grows slower and that I'll be able to enjoy for a while. I have a 24g aquapod, and Im getting a 150w solana mh pendant. Any and all advice would be appreciated...

jackri

Maxima would make a nice slow grower... you can get them pretty small... mine was 1.5 - 2" and really hasn't grown much in a year... my derasa is growing quite fast though.

snakeblitz33

No such thing as a beginner clam, IMHO.
Make sure there are zero to barely any Nitrates in your system before you add him. Clams can't stand much nitrate. Don't get one that is less than 4". This is because smaller clams don't have enough mantle space to support themselves with zooplanktonic photosynthesis on their own.
Maximas do grow slow. Make sure you feed a lot and have an excellant filtration system. I'm leaning more towards turf algae scrubbers these days. lol!!

I've decided I want a Teardrop Maxima and a Tiger Deresa to start off with. I'll see how it goes with two and then maybe add a crocea in the far future. I want to have a clam garden of sorts when I set up my 46g bowfront, but for now those two in my 24 will suffice. Thanks for the all the info!

jackri

Make sure your calcium and alk are in check.. they can deplete calcium in a system that small rather quick especially if you get two.

OK... I dont plan on getting them at the same time, probably about a month apart... I need to get all the test kits I dont already have, and I dont get the light for another couple of weeks anyways. If my levels for calcium are low, what do you recomend I supplement?

jackri

A tank that small... I would use 2-part.
I got a gallon each of part A and part B for 18 bucks a gallon... versus 14 bucks per 16 oz bottle at the "box" store.
A gallon each would last you a REALLY long time and keeps calcium and alk in check with each other (still need to test you don't over dose).