Best Beginner Clam?

vitalis

I've had a reef tank for 9 months so far and not many things have died. I have zooanthids, toadstool leather, superman mushrooms, yellow devils hand, kenya tree, daisy polyps, xmas tree rock, and a alveopora frag. Anyways i have everything doing great under HO T-5 with moon L.E.D. I also have plenty of water flow and i regullary use calcium, magnesium, strontium, and phytoplankton in my tank. My tank is a 55gal and i was wondering what clam would be the best beginner, and one that would look good and be able to survive under HO T-5's? Any help is appreciated!

S

saxman

how much T-5 do you have? i suspect what has you interested in clams is seeing all T. crocea "ultras". these clams are the touchiest of all of the Tridacnids, and require copious anounts of light. i personally wouldn't keep one without MH lighting, altho i'm sure there are those who will disagree.
however, to answer the question, T. derasa
is about the best first clam you can get. i've been seeing some really nice specimens with blue spots and either blue or green lips. keep this clam on the substrate, as it's a substrate-dweller. whatever you get, do yourself a favor and get a specimen that's at least 3" long. babies can be a PITA, and are touchy.
OT (kinda): i do hope you're testing for all of the things you're dosing (except the phyto).
HTH

florida joe

While most Derasa clams are placed on the sub straight, I like to get them closer to the lights and have not had a problem with them on a flat rock

S

saxman

aw Joe...you're just miffed cuz i sent that huge box from FL back...

florida joe

Originally Posted by saxman
http:///forum/post/3246606
aw Joe...you're just miffed cuz i sent that huge box from FL back...

It would have not been so bad had you not rapped the week old dead fish in a copy of coral mag and placed it in the box and mailed it the cheapest way possible. I get the Sicilian message

S

saxman

T. squamosa, T. derasa, T. gigas and H. hipoppus all have similar lighting requirements. also, all of these clams are substrate dwellers, and rely on their sheer size and weight to keep them in place, as opposed to rock-dwellers, which attach to the rockwork via byssal threads.

Y

yoshii

Also, although I haven't tried this myself, I have seen some people who have made "elevated sandbeds" for their clams to put them closer to the light.