Best Clownfish pair

iiinadav

I plan to buy a mated pair of clownfish within the next month, but I'm having a hard time choosing between the Maroon and True Perc pair. Give me some input on the positives and negatives you have experienced with these clowns. Also, please vote for you clownfish of choice.

mr_bill

I voted Maroon just because that's what I have. I cannot comment on the Perc's because I've never had them.
I can list alot of reasons why I like my clowns but it would be very similar to what everyone would say about either.

petieaztec

maroons are so cool you will like them a lot better. there are also so many looks for them. here are mine. sorry they are so blurry. but my male has a dot on his head and the female has wierd lines on her. they also let me pet them sometimes. it is really wierd.

iiinadav

I've heard Maroon Clowns are aggressive and some tend to dig alot. Do you see any of these habits in your Maroons?

squirrel

I don't have a pair of maroons but I do have one and she loves to dig. I have give up on fixing the sand...lol But I would have to vote for the Gold Stripe Maroon! :joy:

petieaztec

she just trys to nest in the sand. if you have a thick enough sand bed it should not be a problem. they are agressive but if you have lots of live rock the other one, usually the male will make his hiding spot. when my male goes into the female's corner he get chased out but when she goes in his corner he just trys to mate with her. My female is the only real agressive one. Just a tip, buy them on the same day because maroons are aggressive and might not accept any new comers to the tank. they are real butt heads sometimes.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by IIINADAV
I've heard Maroon Clowns are aggressive and some tend to dig alot. Do you see any of these habits in your Maroons?
All clowns are territorial to a degree. I think maroons have a bad rap for being overly aggressive. Yes they get bigger than other clowns, and yes they can be very aggressive, but it all depends on the individual.
I have a pretty large female(5") and an average male(3"), she has not been aggressive to any other fish the whole time I've had her. She even tolerates my emerald crab who has a identity crisis and thinks he's an anemone crab.

petieaztec

she is bueatiful Bill. mine are small still. you said they get to be five inches? I better start to save up for a bigger tank i only have a thirty gallon.

bang guy

Maroons are very pretty but get large and aggressive.
A. percula are about the most docile Damsel and require very little space.

petieaztec

if you get a percula get ready for them to call your fish nemo. that is why i did not get one. it is like calling a dog rover. no es good!

georgene

I have a pair of Maroon yellow striped. I like them lots, the female will eat out of my hand and I have only had them for 3 weeks. She is about 3 in and likes to dig in the sand (it drives my boyfriend nuts
). The male is a little shy he will only eat out of hand in the morning. The female hides more then the male. The only other fish in the tank is Blue Damsel. (72-g for the to play in and they stay on one side) As for them being aggressive I have not seen it in my tank.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Maroons are very pretty but get large and aggressive.
A. percula are about the most docile Damsel and require very little space.

I've seen maroons at about 6" in person but heard some even exceed that on rare occasions. I'll have to retract my comment if mine does get aggressive, but maybe you all percieve aggression in different ways. My fish does not chase or nip at any other fish in my tank. She's in a 50gallon corner tank and has claimed one corner where the anemone is at. Is it possible that since she is so much larger than the other fish in the tank there is no reason for her to assert herself aggressively?

riccio

Can you give some info on your tank/inhabitants as that may allow us to offer you better advice. For instance, if you plan on keeping a 20g tank I certainly wouldn't recommend maroons.

iiinadav

The tank is a 72g bow front reef tank. The tank has 100lbs. of sugar fine sand and 110lbs. of figi rock. I currently have a royal gramma and yellowtailed damsel living in there. I also have a Kole tang heading in there when it has completed the QT process. I have 2 tank raised true percs (not mated) in my sons aquarium now, but that's in his room and I don't want guess running in and out of there.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
maybe you all percieve aggression in different ways.
Would you think that grabbing an Anthias by the tail and stuffing it into an Anemone is aggressive behavior?

mr_bill

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Would you think that grabbing an Anthias by the tail and stuffing it into an Anemone is aggressive behavior?

Wow that is aggressive, as a matter of fact thats down right evil genius in the fish world if you ask me. I still say they shouldn't be judged as a whole by a few bad seeds.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by IIINADAV
Do Maroon clowns have a preffered anemone?
They like bubble tip anemones, but will accept a very wide range of anemones IF they are in the mood. Some clownfish just do not host period, also on a individual basis.

riccio

Since you already have a pair of percs I guess I would get the maroons, but be aware they can be much more aggresive than percula, as has already been stated.