best cycling method

stumpdog

Throw in a cocktail shrimp and let it go. Some people take the shrimp out a couple of days, but I left mine it for nearly 3 weeks. When I took it out my ammonia was good. Either way using a cocktail shrimp works. Does that make sense?
HTH-
Jeremy

aarone

Go with cocktail shrimp, no need to stress out those little hellions we call damsels. It's cheaper as well.
aaron

cdubbs

ok thanks...what kind of shrimp? a cooked shrimp that i can eat or raw shrimp?? What is faster shrimp cylce or damsel cycle?

stumpdog

A raw shrimp, like a cocktail shrimp. The process is going to take about the same either way, about 4 weeks.
HTH-
Jeremy

lesleybird

Originally posted by CDubbs
ok thanks...what kind of shrimp? a cooked shrimp that i can eat or raw shrimp?? What is faster shrimp cylce or damsel cycle?

Buy a bottle of Cycle bacteria to help grow a larger colony of bacteria faster. Either will cycle just as fast, but the cycle without fish is kinder. You can also buy some of those frozen fish food cubes to cycle they have different ones of frozen shrimp, krill, and other types of frozen fish food seafood. You can throw one in every couple of days after adding the Cycle bacteria cultures. Be sure to run your filter or use some type of circulation at least. Are you adding any live rock? You can cycle with that and a little fish food every couple of days. You could use little pellets or flake food too. Bacteria aren't too particular. Live sand also speeds things up but is not necessary. Lesley

jmesmcm

I just threw a decent size piece of Mysis shrimp into my tank to cylce it. Doesn't take much just something to create some ammonia.

buzz

I think the best way to cycle is uncured live rock. Next - raw shrimp.
There is no need to ever use a fish to cycle with the above two options available.
Bottled bacteria's such as Cycle or StressZyme should not be used except as a last measure, IMO. Again, IMO, you will have a stronger, more stable system if you let the tank cycle on it's own. StressZyme has it's benefits - I have used it before. But the best way is not to rush it.

cdubbs

ok so how about this? I put in 20lbs of live sand and however many more pounds of southdown..i put some LR in it and a cocktail shrimp? I have my filters running and skimmer and powerhead? Do i add the LS and LR before?after?same time as shrimp? Should i put some inverts in there? How does that sound?

Never EVER use damsels, they are mean as hell and a pain to get out of your tank. I agree, LR does work the best. I wish I knew before I cycled with damsels.:mad:

lesleybird

Originally posted by Buzz
I think the best way to cycle is uncured live rock. Next - raw shrimp.
There is no need to ever use a fish to cycle with the above two options available.
Bottled bacteria's such as Cycle or StressZyme should not be used except as a last measure, IMO. Again, IMO, you will have a stronger, more stable system if you let the tank cycle on it's own. StressZyme has it's benefits - I have used it before. But the best way is not to rush it.

Just where did you come up with that information? Adding a large starter culture of the proper type of bacteria can only help. Where did you get this stronger more stable system stuff. I think you made it up. Lesley

S

slofish

I agree with steelchromis, DO NOT use damsels, I cycled my tank with a damsel and an ocellaris clown. The damsel was a pain to take out, took about 2 days before i figured i had to take out all my LR to keep it from hiding.

buzz

Lesley - ask the mods, or many of the other experienced hobbyists. That topic has come up many times before. I don't have studies to support this or anything, just experiences from myself and others.
Like I said, it has it's benefits. However, IMO, the best way is to let the cycle run it's course without bottled bacteria.
But thanks for the vote of confidence in saying I am making things up...:rolleyes:
However, you are entitled to believe whatever you want...I've cycled 3 tanks. I actually used Stresszyme on the first one, my 29g, and it worked. I've used it to push my tank over the nitrite hump, and it worked. And then I heard from a lot of experienced hobbyists that it is better not to use it. I trust those with more experience than me.
BTW...... IMO means In My Opinion. Take a look at how many times I put that in the previous post. ;)

david t.

You can use Black Mollies to cycle your tank since they are realy cheap and they can live in fresh or salt water and they are verry hardy.......

stackman

If you have the money, I am a big fan of the live sand method. Take say, 1 - 2 lbs per gallon, and wait a few days. Test the water, and it should be alright. Then throw in a few damsels for a week or two.
Or...
One method is using Cycle and buying damsels. The Cycle throws live bacteria into your tank, and the damsels create waste for the bacteria to feed on. Cycle can't be overdosed, and you can use it whenever you feel like it.

fishies

I haven't ever used shrimp or fish to cycle. It's always just been LS and LR. That method has worked very well, and it's just seems more natural:)