Best diet

bobsingh1

What's the best diet for fish ? I have four damsels and one yellow tang. I feed them flakes in the morning and brine shrimp in the evening. Is that good enough ? Do these fish eat veggies ? if yes, what kind ?

mainejo1

My damsels enjoy freeze dried seaweed, or kelp that come in sheets just like the kind you get to make sushi. You can rubber-band a piece of it to a rock, or get a suction cup clip that your local fish store should have. I orginally got the kelp for my coral beauty, but my damsels like it equally well.

kris

The best diet is a varied one--flakes, the dried seaweed (your tang especially must have lots of veggies) frozen meat/green varieties and whatever else you might think looks good at the fishy grocery store.
(I must say I am particularly fond of the frozen dinners-and there are lots of different kinds to try)

mgochay

Originally posted by Kris:
The best diet is a varied one--flakes, the dried seaweed (your tang especially must have lots of veggies) frozen meat/green varieties and whatever else you might think looks good at the fishy grocery store.
(I must say I am particularly fond of the frozen dinners-and there are lots of different kinds to try)

The dried seaweed, is that the stuff you can get from a health food store?

chessie

Originally posted by MGochay:
The dried seaweed, is that the stuff you can get from a health food store?

You can buy 'Nori' (the seaweed wrapping for sushi) @ some grocery stores or speciality-type food stores OR you can buy all kinds of seaweed products through different pet/fish catalogs available (not sure if you can name them here).

kris

It used to be only in the specialty stores now all the local stores carry it in lots of different varieties (at least mine do)

fishgirl

my tang and damsels don't like Nori at all. this is the diet i give them:
TetraMarin flakes
Spirlina algea flakes
frozen brine shrimp
romain lettuce (for the tang, on a veggie clip)
frozen gelitin based dinners
All of these are fed on a kind of cycle basis. I hope you fish have similar tastes to mine.