Best Hang-On-Back Skimmer?

yourpalcm

I am buying everything I need for my first 75g saltwater tank. I already have a Fluval 404 from a freshwater tank I dismantled a while ago, so I was planning to use that and not get a sump system.
I just bought a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. I heard it does a great job, and didn't stop to think about how monstrous this thing is. That would be fine if I had a sump, but as a HOB my tank will need to be 6" away from the wall. Maybe after I have everything set up that won't look as stupid as it seems like it's going to look.
Thoughts? I didn't unpack the thing yet. Is there a HOB skimmer out there that doesn't need as much space behind the tank that works as well as the CSS125?

shawnlx86

the auqa-c remora(up to 75gal) and remora pro(75+ gal.) are excellent, will cost between $150-$235. depth of only 2.75"-3.25" depending on model. i'm getting one for my 40gal. quarantine/hospital tank.
good luck,shawn

blb9

I have read good and bad things about the prizm skimmer made by Red Sea. This is a hang-on skimmer that is for tanks up to 90 gallons, but that is not to be trusted. I have read some that won't put this skimmer in a tank more than 30 gallons. The prizm deluxe made by Red Sea will probibly work for your tank. These are good models for baisic skimmers, with thier only drawback being that they are a little noisy, or so I'm told. The price range is 100 to 200 dollars.

engineer

I love the Aqua C's I had a HOB remora for a couple years, then when I upgraded to a 120, I got an Aqua C EV120, It is equally as awesome.........

stanlalee

Originally Posted by YourPalCM
I just bought a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. I heard it does a great job, and didn't stop to think about how monstrous this thing is.
this is exactly why I refuse to use or advise anybody to get one for hang on back use. No amount of fantastic skimming merrits that amount of attention to be drawn to itself. AquaC remora/remora pro is probably the least intrusive good working skimmer overall.

yourpalcm

I'm actually considering a Deltec MCE600. It's expensive, but it's the one skimmer with glowing reviews across the board. Thoughts?

stanlalee

If you have a background on the tank it is even less intrusive because the pump is in the skimmer not in the tank. It also has a compartment to add media. Kind of bulky looking on the out side of the tank but if you have a background it wont matter. Needless to say its suppose to be the best performing HOB available. Advanced Aquarist website had a nice little article/review on it.