Best Hermit Crab?

sultan

Which hermit crabs are best suited for a reef enviroment? I'm looking for the most peaceful species.... Any advise?

spartan78

Well, I use scarlet hermit crabs because those are the ones I was recommended to get. Unlike scarlets, i've heard that the blue leg hermits will sometimes eat your snails and take the shells. However, im willing to bet that blue legs will leave snails alone if their fed every now and then, and have right sized shells available. If you want diversity, and are willing to pay a little for snail loss, go ahead and get scarlet/blue leg mix. Some other hermits i've heard about are : zebra hermits, Electric blue/blue knuckle, Halloween/orange knuckle, and red leg. I don't have to much info on these, but you could give them a shot too.

mudplayerx

Use numerous species of cleaner hermits if you can. Having too many of the same kind can cause them to become destructive when they run out of the particular detritus/algae/etc that they like.

nm reef

I like diversity....so I keep assorted scarlets and bluelegs. Both can pose problems for snail populations over time...so maybe twice a year I replenish snails to maintain populations...but personally the diversity is worth the effort.