best lawn mower?

pontius

zero turn mower. I want to get a new one and really don't know which is the best. I have about 1.2 acre. I really would like a deck size as close to 50" as I can get. the ones I've been looking at so far
John Deere 54", 23HP. $4000. I'm pretty sure this is about $1000 overpriced because of the name brand alone. it does seem to come with a better warranty and it is MUCH faster than any of the others for some reason.
Toro 50", 22HP. $3000. overall, this seems to be the one that is the best total package as far as reviews, features, and bang for buck.
Husqvarna 46", 19HP. $2500. lower HP, smaller deck, mixed reviews. don't know about this one.
the only mower I really have any experience with is Craftsman, which I like, but they don't seem to make a decent zero turn. any other recommendations? I know there are other 'boutique' brands like Dixie Chopper, but I really don't want to go the very expensive route. I really doubt I'm willing to go $4000 for the John Deere.

meowzer

Hey where you been?? LOL....IMO the best lawn mower...is the one that someone else is using...HAHAH
Actually my husband would love a zero turn...so I may pay attention to this thread

2quills

John Deer you are deffinately paying a bit more for the brand name. Toro has been around a long time in the residential and commercial lawn care bussiness. Husqvarna's have nice chainsaws but I think they are fairly new in the lawnmower arena so don't know if I would go there. The Cub Cadets I hear are descent residential mowers.
The John Deer though does have the higher horsepower which is better for a 50" deck. That and the better warranty is probably biggest reason for the higher price. What kind of motor does the toro have...Honda or Briggs? Can't go wrong with a Honda motor.
If you want to go pro then Dixie Chopper or Exmark can't be beat from my experience.

fishtaco

I agree about not going wrong with a Honda motor, I have a Husky with the 23 HP V-Twin Briggs and Stratton and I like the mower, but the motor is crap, leakes a little oil and if it gets caught on the compression stroke it will not start unless you lift the hood and manually turn the motor a little. My neighbor has the same motor in a John Deere and it has the same problems. That kind of thing might be considered quirky on an old Harley, but not on a mower. My other serious gripe about the Husky is that the drink holder is on the same side as the deck discharge and I get grass in my beer sometimes.
Fishtaco

deejeff442

why do you need a zero turn for 1.2 acres? i mow 5 acres with my 54" cub cadet. i love the mower .only around $2200.
my friend is a landscaper and says toro builds a great commercial mower but their residentials arent all that great.
like fishtaco said i would find a mower with a honda.they seem to run forever.

pontius

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3295835
why do you need a zero turn for 1.2 acres? i mow 5 acres with my 54" cub cadet.
because my 1.2 acres has about 25 trees, 2 large flower beds, a curved walkway, etc on it.

stdreb27

When I worked for the Rangers we used toro mowers. But they were the professional grade mowers.

reefraff

I had the same issue with the briggs engine the taco mentioned.
I've known 2 guys in the landscape bizz and they had the Toros. One guy I had mow my yard had one you stood on rather than sit and he loved that. Not sure of the brand of that one but the guy said it was more maneuverable than anything he'd used before.

fishtaco

Hey, almost forgot to mention whatever you get make sure it has spindles on the cutting deck that you can grease. Some have sealed spindles and they will fail in a couple season. Post a pic of what you get and maybe we can all show off our riders. LOL
Fishtaco

u mike

DIXIE CHOPPER, i have one does a really good job. The main thing with them is the cutting deck. when i was looking for a mower i looked at plenty of different kinds. If you look at the decks on what ever you see most of them wiggle around not the choppers. also go less then a 44" cut, I have 2 acres part is nice the other is a back field. what i am getting at is if you have tight areas to cut a smaller cut would work better. if i could start over I would go smaller aroubd 35". any questions let me know.

pontius

I don't really have a lot of tight areas. the trees are pretty well spaced out about 15 feet apart.
here's where we're at....
Toro (the Home Depot version) $2900
Toro Titan (the non-Home Depot version) $4600
Dixie Chopper $5500 (but they have 0% financing for 60 months, which I like)
Exmark $4800-$5200 depending on features
I do like that Dixie Chopper and their reputation. and I like 0% financing. BUT, that is an incredible amount to put on a lawn mower.
so, I have a garage to keep it in. would you expect a garage kept lawn mower in this price range to last for a long long time?

u mike

YES !! I have mine in a wood shed going on 3 years. this could be the last one you buy.
Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/3298425
I don't really have a lot of tight areas. the trees are pretty well spaced out about 15 feet apart.
here's where we're at....
Toro (the Home Depot version) $2900
Toro Titan (the non-Home Depot version) $4600
Dixie Chopper $5500 (but they have 0% financing for 60 months, which I like)
Exmark $4800-$5200 depending on features
I do like that Dixie Chopper and their reputation. and I like 0% financing. BUT, that is an incredible amount to put on a lawn mower.
so, I have a garage to keep it in. would you expect a garage kept lawn mower in this price range to last for a long long time?