Best LFS in Los Angeles?

revex

Hey Rex!
I goto "Tropical Imports". Its actually in Glendale, but thats the closest one to me ;)
Hope that helps,
ReveX :)

scarybo

I have purchased from both Tropical Imports and Jeff's exotic fish. I get most dry goods from Jeff's. Since you live in LA you will receive the next day. I have also purchase corals from Jeff's. I just hate to drive from glendale to his shop. Tropical imports will get whatever you want if you ask.

E

eight2178

jeff's is really good....i recommend him too...
where is tropical imports? phone number? address??

E

eight2178

oh yea, for your info, jeff's is closed sunday and monday...

seriously where is this tropic imports?? is that the one next to the airport?? have u guys been to that one? if it is, its huge!... where is it located.. etc stuff like that.i wanna see it

scarybo

Tropical imports is a LFS in glendale. It's okay, but can't compare to Jeff's. Topical is at 1134 E. Colorado St. There is also Underwater Depot in sherman Oaks. 818-789-7323. It's okay. Remember do your research because LFS want sales first..info second.

E

eight2178

the one by the airport is aquatic outlet...it's ok, yea, real big, prices kinda high, service sucks...cant beat jeff's for price, quality, and the people that work there are all real cool...

triggerfool

I went to Jeffs based on this post, but i was really underwhelmed. There wasn't a lot of fish choice, and though the prices on their site were pretty awesome, the actual fish weren't in stock. And the fish that were there seemed unhealthy...maybe I caught em on a bad day.
Their Turbo Snails were a buck a pop so I picked up a few of those...Seen em for up to 4 dollars a piece at some LFS. And their live rock was AWESOMELY priced. And 9 corals for 99 dollars...thats a deal too.
Ill give em another shot, but as far as fish i was disappointed.

buzz

I've been to Jeff's, and have no complaints. He has an awesome business. Great selection, great prices.
I haven't ordered from his site, but I can imagine that if what you want isn't in his outlet store, you can order it from him.
Of course, if ordering from a site, you can always do so from SWF as well...(like that plug?) heh heh...
Scales and Tails in Burbank has awesome Live Rock. Pasadena Tropical Fish (in you guessed it...Pasadena) has a nice fish selection. The owner knows what he is talking about too, which is nice.

spsfreak100

Ditto on Jeffs! I've been there quite a bit, really nice store, quite good service, and a good price tag :)
Aquatic Outlet is where I usually go, since it's the closest. There service isn't too good, extremely high prices, and there corals are half dead...
Anything in their big 'Show Tanks' is the good stuff. Those are usually fair priced, extremely healthy, and most have full color. Beware of the manager Dave... sometimes that guy doesn't know what he's talking about :-/, same with the Owner!!
I remember he was tyring to talk me into buying some more corals, as well as a new tank to add some 'rare fish' into. :D Ask for Shannon :)
Theres also Apex Located in Culver City. They have good service, cheap prices, but doesn't have as good live stock...

ilove2ride

Thank you Old Yeller Tang, I will go to those places sometimes soon. (I live in the LA area, too.)
I went to Jeff's, great prices, but some of the livestock was really pathetic. (especially the starfish, there were tons of dead ones, there was even one with just one arm left, the rest of the body was shredded :eek: )
THanks.

trickle25

just a note to be careful at Jeff's the owner will screw you over on price if ya don't pay attention ....the sales guys or the signs will say one thing and when you get to the owner to ring you up he will jack up the prices anywhere from 3 to 5 bucks if your not paying attention

scarybo

Just let Jeff know... he probably just made a mistake. He will make it right. He always has taken great care of me.

bergamer

DON'T BUY CORALS AT TROPICAL IMPORTS!
I have had nothing but bad luck with their corals.
If you do insist on buying from them, I would do it the day they come in which is on mondays (not every monday)
if you look at the corals in their tanks, they have been there, it seems like years.
There is another place on foothill blvd called fish cove,
their problems are that you will only get the truth about fish and corals when you begin to buy a lot. Otherwise, it seems as though everything is reef safe and can be kept in anysize tank.
ofcourse it depends on who you talk to.
I have not found any truthful LFS in los angeles,
but the place where I found the healthiest looking fish and corals is overpriced. marcs tropical fish in studio city on ventura place.

evilss

when i lived in souther cal i would go to global aquatics on ontario. i lived up in vectorville so it wasnt to bad of a drive. you guys should check it out. always had great fish and some good corals.

nicodakat

Okay, I have been to most of these stores and they are mostly on the ball. Tropical Imports has really healthy fish, but their dry goods are pretty pricey. However, DO NOT, give any of your hard earned money to Tong's in Fountain Valley!!!! I have spent tons of money in their store over the years and today, I wanted to return a $20.00 rio pump and because I didn't have the receipt they would not exchange it!! I had not even opened the box and all I wanted was a less powerful powerhead!! She would not budge!! They have lost all my business and I recommend that you should not shop there and spend your money on crappy service!!!! They only want your money at any cost for the here and now. They have an excellent selection of corals and fish but they are all about quantity, not quality. They overstock their tanks with fish and the expense of their health. They might have a large selection but they are stressed out fish. They buy in bulk, not hand-picking only the healthy ones. I bought corals there because they have such an amazing selection, but they don't think about how much more money I would spend in their shop if they were only a bit more considerate about their customers!!! And that is all I have to say

bergamer

tropical import's fish IS NOT HEALTHY!!! ....garbage lfs
if you think they are healthy, it might be because they just got in the fish or because you have not seen real healthy fish.
I still would add that one of the best in LA is marc's tropical fish in studio city. it might be pricey, but it is the best in quality!