Best Lighting for a 29gal. SPS tank

bp

I have a 29gal. tank and I want to start to get some SPS corals and clams. I know a MH is the best so do you think i could keep SPS corals and clams with one 175 watt MH?:notsure: What amount of Kalvins do you think i should get. Buy the way i won't have any VHO atinic supplements, do to the money issue. With out the VHO's will i still be able to keep corals and clams??
thanks for your time:yes:

D

daniel411

I'd go with a 150 or 250w DE MH. Spectrum is a personal thing, I'm a fan of 10k and 14k though.

nas19320

Though a little more costly than SE, DE is the way to go for SPS's. If your not going to have actinics you may want a higher K bulb such as 14K or 20K, depends on your personal taste though.

S

spsaddict

do you need the 250... no but your corals and clams will love you even more :)

birdy

Just be aware you will have heat issues with a 250w MH over a 29gal tank, I am dealing with them in a 28gal, with one 250w MH, and it has barely broke 73 degrees outside temps here.

tanksalot

If you keep you lights, say hanging over the tank about 12" would you still have a heat problem? Just wondering cuz im gonna turn my 29 into some kind of a reef tank.

S

spsaddict

put 4 fans in and youll be fine, im gunna be running dual 400s over a 65...