Best Long-Tentacle Coral?

pbnj

I have a 75 gallon with 4X54 T5s (individual reflectors), good flow, and plenty of liverock for good coral placement.
I really like the long-tentacle type corals (e.g., xenia, pipe-organ, etc.), but which are the hardiest and least aggressive ones? I prefer to keep only corals that require minimal supplemental feeding.
Pictures and experiences are greatly appreciated.

big

Yes the Torch may not be the easiest of the ones available, but it defiantly in a long tentacle coral.......This one started from a single stem frag about 18 months ago, about 15 heads now........Here is a shot from back in August. and one from October showing growth and a different flow direction ..
But is you are looking for a low maintance coral, try something like green Cloves or something like that. One big issue with Cloves is there spreading too much.

anonome

Agreed, Torch corals are very easy to care for, like medium flow, and medium to high light.
Most people that see mine always say what kind of anemone is that? They are very interesting corals, and very adaptive to lighting. No special feeding either, just lighting.
As you can see from the second picture that I have submitted the tentacles can get very large. Mine especially does after the halides go out. So care must be made to not place other corals too close.

socal57che

Another torch vote, here.
I love my torch, but I have had issues with sweeper tentacles on a few occasions. It stung some zoa frags and one of my purple Yumas. A flow change fixed the zoanthid issue and the Yuma just moved over some. It's something to keep in mind as you place it in the tank.
Hammer's are kewl, too.

dse

I vote hammer in my experience.
I baught a dieing hammer for cheap with 3 stems one died due to poor quality and nipping.
The tenticals where retracted had no colour and look very puffy.
this was my first coral i baught/owned and got it in sept.
it's took untill a few days ago that the tenticals have started coming out tbh both me and the lfs (ass.m) where convince it would die day after due to the Manager put it in a tank that was only 3 hours old.
so i got it on the cheap for $20 in your terms.
and i tell you what might be a long story but i am amazed on how it looks the tips are green and it's a T head wich i wanted too.
so like i said T hammer due to how cool and beautifull they are.
P.S i have herd that they can drop calc.. not sure though as mine is small and my tank is over 6ft long.
good luck on your choice!

C

cmaxwell39

I really like frogspawns. Any of the euphylias will fit what you are looking for I think (Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn.) Pretty easy to care for and don't require extra feeding (although they will grow faster if supplemented a couple of times a week.)

premilove

+ 1. i personally do not like xenia. they are cool for the first couple of weeks but then you keep seeing them everywhere! xenia here, xenia there xenia on my over flow, xenia on the walls, xenia on the glass, xenia growing on my fish

anonome

Great pics, Shrimpi!! My torch is really a good color too, but my camera just doesn't get the true colors. It rivals my RBTA!!

big

Originally Posted by Anonome
http:///forum/post/2858900
Great pics, Shrimpi!! My torch is really a good color too, but my camera just doesn't get the true colors. It rivals my RBTA!!
Yep!!
Nice shots what are you shooting ??