Best method for transporting live rock

C

cardstars

So im getting some fully cured live rock for my new tank and was wondering what the best method of transportation is for a somewhat large amount (60 lbs)? Plastic container with newspaper over it is one idea I heard. And my next question is - approximately how long can live rock survive if its not completely submerged in a tank but is in a humid environment (such as the plastic tub with newspaper idea)? Any extra rock I cant fit into my 45 is going to the lfs. Thanks for tips and ideas! Just looking for the most minimal die off from transporting

reefer34

it really depends on how long its going to be out of water... you could transport it in a vat of saltwater... but I would say it would be easier to just soak some paper towels in salt water and rap each individual piece of rock and put it in styrofoam

oscar1129

I just did this, about 60 pounds. I went and got a rubber-maid 35 gallon tote filled it with Saltwater. I had a power inverter laying around so I hooked up a heater and a circulation pump and ran an extension cord out the back window of my truck. Worded very well. Trip was about 2 hrs. Probably a little overkill, but its been 5 days and I haven't had any high test levels at all.

browniebuck

I agree with above...it really depends on how long the rock will be out of water. I have driven as far as 2 1/2 hours with the soaked newspaper/paper towel method and had no problems. If you are staying in town, you should have no problem at all. If you are talking about a long car trip, I would suggest buckets/tube up to a certain level and then soaked paper towels on top...and stop along the way (if it is a VERY long trip) and rotate the rock so that the stuff on the top gets down into the water and the stuff in the water goes out of the water for a while (and then re-cover it with paper towels).

C

cardstars

thanks for the tips guys! I am only going about 20 miles with the rock, so I think I should be fine. I am going to submerse the rock in saltwater - the guy im getting it from is taking down his tank so I might as well take the water straight from his tank with the rock. I will let you know how it goes