Best Name for an Alaskan Malamute Puppy?

yearofthenick

We've been expecting our lab to go to dog heaven for about 6 months now and have been passively searching for another dog to help ease the pain when he finally goes. We've looked in shelters, thought about adopting adults, we've heard of a few different friends with litters of different breeds.

We finally came across a great family (who we've known for many years) who breed Alaskan Malamutes on the side. We went last week to check them out and really fell in love with one of them. We made a deal and I'll be picking him up this Thursday.

Our family is very excited! We just got back from Costco, picking up a pet bed and some organic puppy food, then swung over to ***** to pick up some toys. I've got a little dog pen I bought online coming in the mail. Everything is set! ............

But we don't have a name picked out yet!!!! We were thinking "Gus" which is the name of the snow dog in the movie "Iron Will," But we haven't decided. Does anyone have any good ideas?

monsinour

As a groomer I get to hear LOTS of pet names. I do a Nikita and Akira. Nikita seems to be a pretty popular name for that breed. Of course, then there is the ever popular Balto.

fenrir

I have always loved Malamutes and Huskies but I don't think I could ever keep up with one! If I ever did get one it would be Balto! Which is the name a sled dog that was part wolf/dog that helped save a small town in Alaska.

yearofthenick

Jenna and I put together a list:
Beau
Buck
Chakotay
Cole
Gus
Diego
Marty
Hurley/Hugo
Jack
Mack
Rudy
Sawyer
Desmond
Sully
Wolf
Zeus
...And of course, Khan!!

If I named the dog "Khan" I could have a Star Trek II Kirk moment when he chews up my furniture... "KHAAAAN!!!!!!"

flower

LOL...I like Khan...However a dog crate will save you money on furniture and you wouldn'nt have to risk heart failure or an aneurisim to yell at him. JMO

deejeff442

i had a mastiff for a short while.some here remember he died of parvo and other complications.i named him NITRO .since i have gotten another english mastiff.got him at 8 week old .he is going to be 6 months in a week.he goes to the chop shop wednesday if you know what i mean.he is now around 85 lbs.he hasnt chewed up anything but his toys.we have 6 dogs and been very lucky with all of them not chewing.we do have about 50 toys scattered everywhere and he seems to be happy with those instead of the furniture.
i loved the name nitro but didnt want to give my next dog the same name out of respect i guess.so my puppy now is named DOZER.
i took a while to settle on a name because i loved the name nitro so much.
good luck

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///forum/thread/380635/best-name-for-an-alaskan-malamute-puppy#post_3313609
i had a mastiff for a short while.some here remember he died of parvo and other complications.i named him NITRO .since i have gotten another english mastiff.got him at 8 week old .he is going to be 6 months in a week.he goes to the chop shop wednesday if you know what i mean.he is now around 85 lbs.he hasnt chewed up anything but his toys.we have 6 dogs and been very lucky with all of them not chewing.we do have about 50 toys scattered everywhere and he seems to be happy with those instead of the furniture.
i loved the name nitro but didnt want to give my next dog the same name out of respect i guess.so my puppy now is named DOZER.
i took a while to settle on a name because i loved the name nitro so much.
good luck

I think having other dogs around helps with anxiety chewing and lots of toys gives them plenty to keep them occupied. Dozer sounds like a happy big baby. I remember the story of Nitro...Big hug, I know that was a hard time for you.

yearofthenick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380635/best-name-for-an-alaskan-malamute-puppy#post_3313487

LOL...I like Khan...However a dog crate will save you money on furniture and you wouldn'nt have to risk heart failure or an aneurisim to yell at him. JMO
I'm not really worried about the furniture. In my original post I said I got a dog pen - it comes in the mail on Tuesday (Tomorrow). We'll put it in our kitchen and he'll sleep there at night.

I know that each month of the dogs life equates to the amount of hours he can stay inside without peeing. So at 2 months, he needs to go out every two hours to pee/etc. When he hits 3 months, we'll take him out every 3 hours, and so on. We used the exact same technique on our yellow lab and he's not had an "accident" in years. Putting in the work early really pays off. If this dog is going to give us 15 years of his life, I want to be sure he learns the house rules as soon as possible.