Best Salt

digitydash

I use reef crystal and instant ocean depends what one I can find in a 5 gal bucket when I need salt.Both are good I have had no problem with them.

reefkprz

I buy my reefcrystals online, I'm lazy I dont like to lug the bucket full of salt home plus you can find it for 45$ shipped about half what you would pay in a pet store.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Whats the best salt mix for a reef? I have heard reef crystals are great.
I used to use Kent and found it to be really good, but switched to Instant Ocean because it was cheaper and seemed like I had less phosphate spikes.

gregghia

Originally Posted by Dude23455
Tropic Marin Pro reef.
Its made by germans so it has to be good.

I agree the Tropic is awesome. Little pricier but great salt, great parameters and healthy corals!

glowplug

Ive heard that tropic marin is THE BEST, its supposed to have all the trace elements found in natural seawater, the more of these elements the less you would ever have to dose your tank with supplements, and yes its made by zegermans in ze germany, ive used it and out of the 4 salts ive tried i liked it the best, dissolves really well and my corals at the time were very healthy. But I switched salts and slacked on WC's and lost most of them---plus I had pretty weak lighting and was a total newb so I dont know how much i could blame the salt for the loss. But on the flipside, when I was running with tropic marin everything was a ok even though my husbandry sucked!

devil dog

Originally Posted by glowplug
Ive heard that tropic marin is THE BEST, its supposed to have all the trace elements found in natural seawater, the more of these elements the less you would ever have to dose your tank with supplements, and yes its made by zegermans in ze germany, ive used it and out of the 4 salts ive tried i liked it the best, dissolves really well and my corals at the time were very healthy. But I switched salts and slacked on WC's and lost most of them---plus I had pretty weak lighting and was a total newb so I dont know how much i could blame the salt for the loss. But on the flipside, when I was running with tropic marin everything was a ok even though my husbandry sucked!
Marinemix and Tropic Marin are almost the same and IMO are THE BEST!!

moneyman

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I buy my reefcrystals online, I'm lazy I dont like to lug the bucket full of salt home plus you can find it for 45$ shipped about half what you would pay in a pet store.
ditto, I let the UPS guy carry my Reef Crystal home for me from the Drs'

scarface

I was a big Reef Crystals person until I tested the freshly mixed saltwater and got a magnisum reading of 1150-1200 which is too low for a reef tank. Once my bucket runs out I wanna try Tropic Marin

frozenguy

I use tropic marin. I've used instant ocean, red sea and kent. settling more on the kent originally. Red sea seemed like it never fully disolved even after 24 hours heated and circulated.. Now I use Tropic Marin and it is a great salt as far as I know so far. I just started my 10gal nano and its great parameters so far..

jtrzerocool

im not really keen on paying attention to the salt i buy. i figure salt is salt right? i want to know how good the kind i use is. can you guys tall me what you think of the salt that i use??
i used Coralife scientific marine salt and now i use Instant Ocean. which is better?
TIA