Best sand to use for reef tank

I am setting up a new 180g tank and I'm planning on setting it up the correct way this time. I didn't do enough research on my 75g and used crushed coral for substrate. I haven't really had problems with nitrates yet but people keep telling me I will. I just wanted to know what brand of sand I should buy for my tank.

nm reef

If it were me I'd use a combination of carib sea aragonite(oolite)..its a fine grain size.....and natures ocean live sand.......ratio of approximatel 4:1.....
also ...if it was me I'd search lfs and find some crud/rubble from their curing tanks(some places just give it away)...
and I'd try to develope at least a 3-5 inch deep sand bed.......gonna cost a bit....but it would be a worth while investment in the future of your system.....

bigfish

particle size is important, But the sand itself should be overflowing with life, Detrivore kits and livesand are of the most importance!
[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: bigfish ]

ironreef

southdown playsand is good for the $$ esv ooltic. Fine sand is good if you want dsb. What kind of sandbed do you want? natures sand is a good grain size but cost $$. You can get bacteria from dead raw seafood for less$$ IMO sand in a bag isn't really live no matter what the bag says. Dried sand. You go throw your nitrogen cycle you just need something to produce ammo. Raw seafood will do the same for less.

broomer5

I'm with BurnNSpy -
The Caribsea Seaflor special grade reef sand is great. Good particle size, 100% aragonite, almost pure calcium carbonate. Oolite is wonderful stuff, but as NM reef said it is very very fine, and should be mixed with other sand. In my opinion going with 100% oolite will cloud the water if you have fish that disturb it too much.
I followed BurnNSpy's advise - and you can see what a 4 inch DSB looks like on my 10 gallon nano tank - check out my site.
Plans are to change over to this same type sandbed on my other two tanks eventually.
Brian

Another opinion here........
I have 100% ESV oolitic sand in my 40 gal reef, 150 pounds, enough for a 5" deep sand bed. I seeded it with 15-20 pounds live sand from my 125 (7 year old) tank.
I was extremely slow in adding water, and I never got that much cloudy water, and I DID NOT even rinse the sand at all. My tank was crystal clear within 12 hours.
I have 5 powerheads in this tank and I have never had any problems with the sand blowing or the fish disturbing the substrate.
And did I mention, the look of this sand is awesome, just beautiful. And it is always pearly white. ;)
My humble .02
Hermit

ironreef

oothic will not cloud your tank except when you put it in. If you want a DSB its the recommeded grain size. The life prefer fine grades. When your sandbed is full of life the animals,organics, bacteria bind it. It won't float away. Many ppl use esv and southdown no probs. Now if you going to vac suc you don't want fine grade

Sorry, I am technologically handicaped! :rolleyes:
But I'm working on it..........
All I can say is, my sand, pure oolitic, is really white in color. The other sands I have seen are a slightly bit brownish tint. I just really like the look of mine. And like I said it is so fine it feels like dust. My infauna is simply thriving and multiplying like crazy. I use a manifying glass to check out the layers below the top and it is teeming with worms and such.
Best of all, my nitrates are zero.
HTH
Hermit

Well, my refugium is in my main tank, so to speak. I grow Calurpa, and harvest it about every three weeks. And yes, I even have hair algae in there. It is FULL of life that multiplies and feeds the tank. I never add anything to feed the corals and they are growing and even my Gorgonium is growing new branches.
I was experimenting with this tank, and so far it has been my most successful reef. I let the tank take care of itself. No filters, not even a skimmer.
IMHO, most aquarists today strive for the near impossible, and quite unnatural. A pristine tank with no algae. Then they dump quarts of food and additives into the tank. My tank today is feeding itself. All I have to do is export the excess algae to keep it in check. I am a huge believer in refugiums, wheather in the tank or not.
Sorry, I digress.
As far as Southdown Sand is concerned, I have no personal experience. But there are many reefers using this stuff out there, albeit the jury is out, as the longevity has yet to be really tested.
HTH
Hermit

angelgirl

I have posted this message before, but whenever i see people asking about play sand i get concerned. I work for a sand and gravel mine that sells sand to the companies that bag it and sell it to the home improvement stores. We use various chemicals in the process of mining everything from weed killer to polymers to treat the water that is used to wash the sand. The sand does go through a dryer and i know that everyone probably does rinse their sand when they get it home but i am still concerned. Just thought I would drop this note again
Good Luck
Angelgirl :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ironreef

southdown isn't the same it comes from the ocean not a quarry. This is why its hard to fine. Its the same sand they sell for aquariums just for less. But I belive they aren't selling anymore. I hear whats out there will be all thats left. They make more selling it as aquarium sand. I guess to many ppl were buying /asking for it and getting it at the cheap price. ..... This is just a rumor I hear no fact but well see if they stop selling it.

andymi

Southdown now Cemex is a company that cares vary little about the environment. Here we are protecting and boycotting species from certain parts of the world due to the way they capture these creatures, and we constantly talk about Southdown play sand. Please check out my thread on this board about Boycott Southdown. I am not completely saying don't use it, because that is your right, but just read the information first then make a decision before giving this company your money.
Personally I used the CaribSea Special Grade, which I believe is the same as the Seaflor Reef sand, if not something similar. I have had no problems with it, and I add no suppliments (alk, calcium, etc) to my tank and everything is thriving, including a Derasa clam.
-Andy

ironreef

I use esv. southdown isn't avalible in my area and would cost the same. I like esv sand. My point being its not the same as quarry sand. i wouldn't buy south down either after hearing its polluting the enviroment. I didn't look at the link but it would be something to concider before you buy. And who wrote the article not just someone against reefing. But I didn't read the article.

Is 300lbs of ESV oolitic sand going to be plenty for a 180g tank? 72x24x24. That sounds like it will make a 3 inch sandbed or so.

300 pounds would make exactly a 3" sand bed.
72 x 24 x 3 x .0579 = 300.15
I would go with a 4-5" sandbed, but that is optional.
HTH
Hermit

Advantages of a DSB are? I don't know if I can afford much more than 3" worth. :) It would probably cost another $60 for 1 more inch of sand. Is it worth it?