Best size Nano?

raptor72

I've had a 9 gal tank for about 6 months now. I initially used it as a Qt for my 125 Dt. After everything was established, I started to use the Qt as a nano. I had success for about 8 months and recently lost most of the 5 fish I had in there. I'm guessing something was off with the water chemistry. I have not run tests lately.
What would be the best size nano so that any little discrepancy in water quality won't be catastrophic?
Sent from an undisclosed location using an undisclosed device.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/392503/best-size-nano#post_3485476
I've had a 9 gal tank for about 6 months now. I initially used it as a Qt for my 125 Dt. After everything was established, I started to use the Qt as a nano. I had success for about 8 months and recently lost most of the 5 fish I had in there. I'm guessing something was off with the water chemistry. I have not run tests lately.
What would be the best size nano so that any little discrepancy in water quality won't be catastrophic?
29g
Its the biggest to still be considered a Nano.
5 fish in a 9g was maybe too much. I have an 8g and I only plan on keeping 1 purple firefish in there with some corals and inverts.
What type of filtration did you run on the 9g?

snakeblitz33

Actually, many other forums consider a 34g to be the biggest tank still considered a nano, including RC.

raptor72

Ok, it might have been 4 fish now that I think about it. There was also a Pom Pom crab included. Ultimately I would like a Sea Horse nano so I think I might get a 29 just to make things a little more stable.

raptor72

I'm running an Aqua Clear 20 by the way.

flower

I would go 29g as well. LOL...one fish, or two very tiny ones and one shrimp or crab is all that should have been in a 9g little tank. JMO.
The 9g would be considered a large tank for dwarf seahorses. However drawfs are hard to feed because they only eat live newly hatched baby brine shrimp.
I kept 4 erectus seahorses in a 30g long tank ...along with two yellow clown gobies, a ton of soft corals, and 5 peppermint shrimp. I made a rock wall to help allow more space in the tank. Erectus horses eat frozen mysis shrimp, so they were as easy to care for as regular fish

raptor72

Flower I know you are the go to girl when it comes to seahorses. I've been wanting to give it a shot because the wife really likes them. Thanks for all the input.
Sent from my overpriced iPod Touch using Tapatalk

gemmy

I have 2 erectus and a yellow watchman goby in my 30. I also made a foam rock wall to allow for more swimming space.