best spectrum

wilson2

i know this is on here somewhere already, but cant find it.... should i use 14k or 20k metal halide?

crt81

Now I've heard (I could have be wrong) that the higher the "K" the blueer thr bulb, but with that the draw back is that you have to get the bulbs changed more often compared to the 10K (that last longer)!

frankthetank

Well, yes you are correct. I personally think a 10k bulb is fine. But I might would go with a 14k bulb. But not 20k, unless you wanted to mix one in amongst a couple other 14k's or something. Of his two choices, I would go 14k.

wilson2

I hade 14k, it burned out and i accidently bought a 20k. should I hurry to get the 14k, or just get it later and switch them in and out?

frankthetank

I would think the 14k would be better light for your corals. I doubt I would run a 20k. I don't know what the consequences would be though. I would however think your corals would appreciate the 14k bulb way more...
I really think the 20k would be better used if you had 3 or more bulbs and wanted to mix in a 20k for a more blue tint. JMO though.