Best Substrate

scotty37

Ive had live sand in my 54 gallon tank... I am getting ready to start into a 125 or more tank and would like to know what everyones opinion is on what is the best substrate... please provide your reasoning. Thanks

briand7878

I personally used quickrete play sand with no problems. The best reason i have found to use that is the cost. $3.50 per 50 lbs. I put live rock with it and i have critters crawling through it all the time.

I have live sand but I kinda wish I had crushed coral. Its hard to have a clean up crew in an aggressive tank and vacuuming sand is impossible. So for that reason I would want crushed coral but sand look waaayyy better.

autofreak44

if i were you i would get some "dead" sand from your lfs. then you know its made for fish tanks and its not as expensive as live. then just let your lr seed the dead sand and bring it back to life.

lesleybird

I like agronite in the one to 3 mm. size because it is not so small that I cannot clean it with my Phyton gravel vac, and not too big for things that like to burrow. It also helps to buffer. Lesley

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
I like agronite in the one to 3 mm. size because it is not so small that I cannot clean it with my Phyton gravel vac, and not too big for things that like to burrow. It also helps to buffer. Lesley
Yes, that for the bottom, then 1-2" of live on top is great

sc0rp_xiii

am wondering this myself as I'm about to upgrade out of my 55 gallon with crushed coral. I've heard that crushed coral does not filter/buffer like sand does and will negatively affect the tank so I was planning on a mixture of dead/live sand with some LR in 135 gallon I have in my garage waiting on me.

sc0rp_xiii

Originally Posted by BRIAND7878
I personally used quickrete play sand with no problems. The best reason i have found to use that is the cost. $3.50 per 50 lbs. I put live rock with it and i have critters crawling through it all the time.

has anyone else done this? what does it look like in the tank? can you post some pics? Thanks

jasony

Originally Posted by sc0rp_XIII
has anyone else done this? what does it look like in the tank? can you post some pics? Thanks

ive done it.. it made my tank look alot better than when i had CC... i used the tan/yellow play sand.. i only regret that i didnt use the white play sand....

k-rok

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
I have live sand but I kinda wish I had crushed coral. Its hard to have a clean up crew in an aggressive tank and vacuuming sand is impossible. So for that reason I would want crushed coral but sand look waaayyy better.

Actually I used to vaccum the sand in my 75gal. aggressive tank. I would but an old washcloth over the drain in the sink to block the sand. I stopped doing this though and now just "turn it over".