Best Tangs for a 120

oceansidefish

I have a 120... Are there any tangs that I can successfully house long term, and that will be happy. My current stocklist...
Flame hawk
True Perc
Midas Blenny
Randalls goby
Purple firefish
candy hog

oceansidefish

The Kole is actually one of my favorites...Would all of the variations be ok??? Or is one considered to be a better choice over another. Thank you for your response Ophiura, I actually respect your opinions here as a fellow scientist. I just never had the memory for biology.

ophiura

Personally, I think one of the best and most underrated tangs in this hobby is the Kole. I think most in the family will be OK, but the Kole is probably the hardiest.
With all due respect to our hosts here, this is a fish I personally would buy at an LFS. Mouth damage is one of their biggest issues (applies to the bristletooth tangs as a whole). I would go to an LFS where you can stand back and watch. You should find them picking at walls, rock, etc...if there is algae in the tank you should see their clear "pucker" marks. Good sign, IMO.
I like the bristletooth tangs in this sort of tank range because they seem to not be confined by the space. They are more interested in grazing much of the time.
And kudos on having, IMO, one of the all around best tank footprints
I love the 120. It does, IMO, limit some of the other tangs (personal preference, many would argue otherwise that a yellow or purple would be OK) but it is great for reefwork.

oceansidefish

I would def have my local LFS pick up one of these personally for me. I like to have a little control and some good feelings about where my stock is coming from.
As far as the footprint of the tank. I had done a bit of research on tank sizes and what I wanted to have as far a optimal depth and such. I knew that anything over 2ft high was going to be out of the question. After looking I was about ready to drop 900 bucks on a custom built tank when I found the one I have now for 200. It was a lucky break. I would love to build a lagoon type system one day... Or I will move back to san diego and get a job at sea world

I certainly would not do a tank any other way at this point.

jackri

I like the yellow or sailfin tangs. But there are tons of options for you at that tank size :)