best way to add sand.

gohome

i have an established aquarium with some fish and corals i ahve dead sand and wat to add some live sand what is the best way to do it?
and does ls really reduce nitrates?

dogstar

Intresting. If your tank is establish with corals, fish, ?? live rock ?? im thinking yes to LR too. then you should have live sand already. Dont hurt to add more sand but IMO it does not have to be LS in the wet bags. You can add dry sand and your rock and existing sand will seed the new sand.
Why do you say its dead sand?

1journeyman

I periodically add sand to my tank like this:
I bought a large pvc pipe from hardware store (1 1/2 inch diameter I think.) and a plastic funnel. I just stick the pipe down into the bottom of my tank, put the funnel on the pipe, and pour away (works better with dry sand, but either will work.)
According to Fenner, a DSB of 4 inches or more provides the proper habitat for anearobic bacteria (oxygen poor bacteria) in the lowest levels of the sand bed that turns nitrates into nitrogen gas and oxygen.
There are a couple of dangers to a dsb. Be sure to research it before you do it. Persoanlly, I love my 6 inch sand bed.