Best way to clean a dirty tank?

dstoneburg

So I just purchased a 125g off craigslist. I picked it up from the guy and he had it in his garage. It was full of pebbles/rocks and had what seemed like salt stuck to all the glass. So I took it home and set it up with water and added 2gallons of vineger to it. Let that sit for about 25 hours and went to scrubbing. Im wondering if anyone has some tips or tricks to get the glass lookin like new!? TIA.

zdthompson

razorblade the heck out of it. i got my 150 off or craigs list it had so much crap gpwn on to it thats all you can do try maybe like kaboom tolet cleaner but make sure to get it all out.

renogaw

white vinegar is the end all be all of cleaning out tanks. that and razor blades if it is glass. don't use any harsh chemicals or you may end up killing everything if you don't rinse it all out

turningtim

You did the right thing! Don't use ANY type of kitchen cleaner EVER!
I find the vinegar works a bit better when you add a bit of flow. Throw a power head or small pump in there and have the water and vinegar do the work. Anything that is hard to get off use a razor or a stainless steel kent scraper (if its glass)..
HTH
Tim

southoats

Jungle Labs actually makes a tank cleaner that is odorless and leaves no residue, all you have to do is pour it on and let it sit for a little bit (5 minutes), and then wipe it off. I have used it on FW tanks many times and it seems to work really well!
Either that or a razor blade and a little elbow grease.