Best way to detach Toadstool Mushroom?

jbird0420

Got a huge toadstool mushroom I want to detach from a rock. What's the best way to detach him and reattach to another rock?

Thanks!

nanomantis

Cut him off at the base.
That or take a hammer to it and knock off that part of the rock if the rock is large enough.

zoie2

LOL I love the knife, but it's not necessary.
I too had a way huge toad stool that got too big for my 12 gal. took up almost the whole thing. Every one told me to cut it, but I just couldn't.
I put a glove on and "tickled" it off the rock. You do need to use some pressure, but it will receed. Scootch it right where it meets the rock. Mine had attatched itself to 4 different rocks!
Because of the hight of my tank and where it was located I was not in a comfortable posion, needles to say, I got a little impatient and pushed it off. The skin ripped a little but the coral was fine. I brought it to my LFS and last week, I noticed I had 3 tiny, tiny toad stools growing where the ripped flesh was stuck to the rock. Which I think is kinda cool.

So, I guess you could cut it, but I found it wasn't necessary.
Good luck with what ever you do!

jbird0420

If I cut it and leave a little of the base behind..Will that piece left behind regenerate into another shroom???

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/2929243

Cut him off at the base.
That or take a hammer to it and knock off that part of the rock if the rock is large enough.

jbird0420

LOL! "tickle" it....Do i rub it's belly until it's happy/not happy?
Originally Posted by zoie2
http:///forum/post/2930845
LOL I love the knife, but it's not necessary.
I too had a way huge toad stool that got too big for my 12 gal. took up almost the whole thing. Every one told me to cut it, but I just couldn't.
I put a glove on and "tickled" it off the rock. You do need to use some pressure, but it will receed. Scootch it right where it meets the rock. Mine had attatched itself to 4 different rocks!
Because of the hight of my tank and where it was located I was not in a comfortable posion, needles to say, I got a little impatient and pushed it off. The skin ripped a little but the coral was fine. I brought it to my LFS and last week, I noticed I had 3 tiny, tiny toad stools growing where the ripped flesh was stuck to the rock. Which I think is kinda cool.

So, I guess you could cut it, but I found it wasn't necessary.
Good luck with what ever you do!

zoie2

Sure, go ahead and laugh at my tickling techniques. Haven't you ever heard of the tickle torture? I use it on my nephew all the time and it works!

and yes, if you cut it, it will grow. In fact the little piece of flesh that was stuck to my last rock is sprouting up. You can just see the little green polyps comming out. I'm glad.
Here is a pic. to the right of my frogspawn you will see a whitish blob and on it about 10 little dots, those are the polyps. The whole thing is about the size of an eraser.