Best way to thin out xenia?

monalisa

That's the question. Will boiling water do the same for these buggers the same as they do for pest anenomes? I'm going to give it a go. Any other suggestions?
Thank you!
Lisa

pumper

I tried boiling water with 22g syringe. Shriveled up then was fine the next day. Take the rock out and use a hammer and flat head

[hr]
driver to chip a little of the rock off with the stalk so no part is left behind to re-grow.

devil dog

Just put a rock over what you dont want it will take about a month or less... that way you will only kill what needs light and not the live rock...

tdog7879

put little pieces of rock all around them and wait till they attach then take to you LFS for credit!!! I get 8 bucks a frag. Or you can cut them off and scrape off it off with a razor blade . Also i heard that you can make a thick paste of kalkwasser and inject in to them?

monalisa

Originally Posted by domsbuddy
http:///forum/post/2929487
You could send some to me, I'll pay shipping.
Mmmmm, yeah, IDK. I can send some to my LFS for credit. What others say about this stuff taking over is not entirely accurate though. Yes, they spread like crazy in some tanks (like mine) but not in others. I can send rock after rock to the LFS and to my daughter's 55gal tank, and they just kinda stay put. They also don't seem to "pulse" in those tanks like they do in mine. Anyone know what the difference could be? I'd be interested in finding out about that.
Thank you!
Lisa

pumper

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
http:///forum/post/2931979
Mmmmm, yeah, IDK. I can send some to my LFS for credit. What others say about this stuff taking over is not entirely accurate though. Yes, they spread like crazy in some tanks (like mine) but not in others. I can send rock after rock to the LFS and to my daughter's 55gal tank, and they just kinda stay put. They also don't seem to "pulse" in those tanks like they do in mine. Anyone know what the difference could be? I'd be interested in finding out about that.
Thank you!
Lisa
The lighting may be less intense in the tanks you are transferring it to. Mine did not pulse under t5 lighting, but started pulsing really fast when I added halides.

wangotango

I used a toothbrush with firm bristles and used an upward scoop motion at the base of the xenia. Popped them right off the rock intact. If you're too aggressive with them they just turn to mush and spread more.
-Justin

monalisa

Originally Posted by Pumper
http:///forum/post/2933933
The lighting may be less intense in the tanks you are transferring it to. Mine did not pulse under t5 lighting, but started pulsing really fast when I added halides.
That's got to be what it is...the tanks at our LFS has some kind of fluorescent lighting, and Beth has really good compacts, but mine are halides...drat. IDK...I keep coming up with plan after plan. I think I may try the scissors route, a little at a time and see how that works.

Thanks everyone!!
Lisa

shrimpi

start at one edge and use some sort of tool (I use something like whats pictured below) to lift the mat off the rock. Once you get it started its usually pretty easy to peel it up. Take a clean razor and cut the mat where you want to stop peeling it.
Superglue it to a small rock and take it to your lfs for credit!

Good Luck
Jess