Beth; a few more Qs/opinions

murph

Thanks for the info you gave in regards to the scopas I have been trying to save.
I have spent hours this weekend researching treatments for marine parasites and have found quite a bit info; some of conflicting as usual. Unforunatly I have now decided that my DT also in need of some intervention and have removed the three fish I had in there and allowing to go fallow. The three fish in question have never shown signs of parasites but a few months back I did lose a kole tang so I am just going to assume the tank is "exposed".
There was also a need to move all of my rock around to remove a flame back angel who had become more of a "punk" then any damsel I have ever seen so this does not particularly bother me especially with the emphasis of the tank being inverts
As far as the scopas treatment goes; I fully intended to do a hypo treatment. I do not have a refractometer but have a hydrometer that gets double checked with an LFS refractometer weekly and is spot on after a bit of compensation. It consistently read .05 to high. Much to my shagrin however I quickly found that it would not read low enough to perform a hypo treatment so its now back to chelated copper after changing enough water to remove or substantially reduce any formalin left in the HT from previous copper formalin combo med.
What is your opinion on chelated copper? Some info recommends a much higher dose from plane copper sulfate is needed; in the 1.5 to 2.0PPM range. Others claim effectiveness with .4 or 5 ppm and still others say .20 to .15 is effective which is the same dosage for non chelated copper. Quite a variance.
I have two different copper test kits that are in agreement so at the vary least I am confident of the amount of chelated copper I have decided on for now at 1.5ppm. This dose has only been overnight and I am prepared to quickly reduce this if needed.
Now for the tangs sensitivity to these doses. Again more disagreement in the community. Some say doses as high as 2.0ppm of chelated can be handled if exposure is under ten days. I know of one LFS in my area who maintains this dose in his holding tanks that contain several large tangs that out grew there homes and have been at this exposure for months. I have also gotten info from the curator of a large display that all incoming fish are held at .20 non chelated for 21 days prior to introduction with no ill effects.
And finally disagreement in the community as far as the effectiveness of hypo treatment. Some claiming the parasite can withstand nearly freshwater conditions making hypo not exactly a sure bet.
Lots of confusion in the community as usual. At any rate as far as my scopas goes; if appetite is any indication of recovery things are still going well.
Actually at this point with my DTs emphasis being invert/coral I am tempted to toss in a few damsels and be done with it :joy: I can rarely find healthy fish specimens in my neck of the woods anyway.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hyposalinity is equally as effective as copper, and is much safer for the fish.
I do not recommend using copper in a display tank or on tangs. Are you using a plastic swing arm hydrometer? Or a glass hydrometer? Are you opposed to getting a refractometer? If you are keeping inverts, I really don't see a choice but to use a very accurate salinity instrument, such as a refractometer. IMO, this instrument is so important--not just for hyposalinity. We are talking about the substance that marine animals live in.
Unless you have a well established QT, I can not recommend using copper. Copper will destroy the biofilter.

murph

Well I am certainly not in a position to dispute the effectiveness of hypo treatment at this point but still am receiving conflicting info, this time from the local reef club.
Of course I can not be certain the hypo treatment was administered correctly but the total elimination of the parasite evidently did not occur with a resurgence of the parasite when salinity levels were brought back up.
Also this info was obtained on the web which indicates internal damage can also be done with hypo treatments

[hr]
One of the alleged benefits of this treatment is the resulting conservation of energy for the affected fish. Reef fish have to constantly drink saltwater and excrete the salt to maintain the proper osmotic balance. Lowering the salinity of the surrounding environment eases this energy demand on the sick fish, thereby allowing them to expend more energy towards fighting the infection (Kollman, 1998 and Bartelme, 2001). On the contrary, keeping fish in low salinity means that they don't "flush" their kidneys sufficiently. After long-term exposure, this can cause kidney failure and kill the fish (Shimek, pers. comm..)

[hr]
The above statement does not specify what "long term exposure" consist of. It could indicate some LFS practice of keeping salinity this low permanently in there holding tanks to eliminate the parasite just as some keep there holding tanks permanently dosed with copper. I suspect either could cause problems if exposure is more than a month or so. Not to mention the problems casual hobbyist could encounter with these permanent hypoed or coopered states. Most are either not likely to extend the acclimation period or possibly introduce copper to there systems.
Actually the treatment of this parasite is beginning to fascinate me and give me something to work on while my DT remains fish-less. I will have a refractometer in hand mid week and sadly obtaining another infested/exposed specimen from the LFS should not be a problem. At that point I believe I will setup a second HT hopefully with identical species and compare the long term effectiveness and possible damage done by each treatment.
Should be interesting.

lion_crazz

Excellent. If you do decide to try both methods, let us know the process you used and the results, please.
Most times, when a hyposalinity process "does not work", it is the fault of the hobbiest, and not the procedure. There are so many things to be certain of when doing hyposalinity, that if you do not do it precisely, there is a great chance of failure.
Secondly, I think that quote is indicating "long term" as months, as opposed to weeks. Though I cannot be positive, that is what I would suspect. That certainly is true, even on the higher levels of salinity. It has been proven that fish kept between 1.015-1.020 for extended periods of time (months) live significantly much shorter life spans than those kept between 1.022-1.026.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Shimek, is no disease expert, and he has the tenancy to support things one day [ie: dsb] and then totally disown it the next. Granted, he has considerable expertise in some areas, but I wouldn't say fish diseases are one of those areas.
Ultimately, the choice is yours.

murph

OK Beth.
A second QT was setup today and just remains to be cycled. I am slowly reducing copper levels in the HT where the scopas is concerned. All is still well in this regard; appetite is good and considering the use of copper safe I will shoot for a copper level of .04 down from 2.0. ya I know yikes.
New QT should be cycled just in time to discontinue copper treatment on the scopas. If any further problems present themselves at this point I can fall back on hypo treatment in a new tank that has never had any meds in it.
If this scopas pulls through and goes back into the reef I am considering a "drinking" name like WC Fields. The scopas with the compromised liver :joy:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can't apply the .4 ppt used in Cupramine to coppersafe. If you don't complete the treatment course (3 wks) then it is possible the fish still has ich, ill get reinfected, and will contaminate the display.

murph

Understood Beth. I don't intended to add him back to the display but move him over to the new QT tank when cycled. Any further problems that may present themselves can then be dealt with there with hypo instead of copper.
By the time the new QT is cycled the scopas will have seen a full copper treatment anyway and this new QT will be the scopas home until DT is ready. Scopas has shown no signs of parasites for a couple of days now.
I intended to leave my display fish less until around halloween.
Thanks again.