Beth MR SALTY OTHERS?????

k salt

What is the formula for finding out how many gals a tank will hold by its measurements. they are 8ft/26/24 wide?? vote on the pros&cons of glass or acrylic in a tank of this size any comments will be helpful :confused:

q

This formula is for inches.
Take the LxWxH then divide by 1728. Take that number and multiply by 7.48.
So 96x26x24 = 259.25 Gallons

sonny

I use (LxWxH)/231. same thing.
As for glass vs acrylic, I like glass, and most people on this board agree, from what I've seen in the past. Glass is not as clear as acrylic, but you'll never notice it when looking through the glass unless you have it next to an acrylic tank. Glass is much heavier than acrylic, but unless you plan to move the tank often, then that won't matter. Acrylic scratches easily. The scratches can be removed, but it's a pain. Acrylic also turns yellowish over time. My main reason I don't want acrylic is that I had an acrylic tank that broke one day. It was 240 gallons, and at least 100 gallons were on the floor. The seam actually gave way. The tank was about 13 years old, and now has been replaced with a glass tank. That tank was in a doctor's office. I maintain it for them. I'll never forget the morning they called me to say "Come quick, the tank has BURST!
Sonny

porkypuffer

I HAVE A GLASS 55 GAL. THE MAIN COMPLAINT I'VE HEARD ABOUT ACRYLIC IS SCRATCHES. THEY SCRATCH VERY EASY, GLASS TANKS WILL SCRATCH ALSO BUT IT'S MUCH HARDER.

q

Acrylic can also warp which is hard to notice but would be annoying if you knew.