Beth-still need help

flamehawk

You know the story.....fish in hypo, all readings fine but one breathing very rapidly. Flame was also breathing rapidly before it passed. Suggestions? thx.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure salinity? . pH? Ammonia?
Is ich still present?

flamehawk

Using fully calobrated refrac. In fact have 2 and they both read 14ppt. As far as PH, red sea test lab. Also for ammonia...... I've of course done several water changes so I can't see how it can be water quality....the tank was well cycled before I started hypo.......I'm very perplexed as there is no reason for this that I can think of........

flamehawk

Using fully calobrated refrac. In fact have 2 and they both read 14ppt. As far as PH, red sea test lab. Also for ammonia...... I've of course done several water changes so I can't see how it can be water quality....the tank was well cycled before I started hypo.......I'm very perplexed as there is no reason for this that I can think of........ By the way they are all now breathing heavy......
I started putting the fish in hypo as a precaution since they were fine except the flame angel had a couple of spots on his tail. Now I'm severely regreting it and should have taken my chances with keeping them in the display. Should I put them back?
The fish are a pair of scribble angels, and 2 percs. Very distressed......
Ich no longer present .....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No don't put them back. Otherwise you could contaminate the display. Can you provide the pH reading as well as ammonia/nitrite? What do you have in the QT for decor?
Have the fish been stressing since putting them in there? Can you post pictures?

flamehawk

ammonia-0, ni-o, ph-8.1,NA-20, bare tank-no decor, stressing since hypo level acheived over 48-60 hours, don't know how to post pics but don't know if they would help as what you would see are otherwise good looking/ healthy fish that are simply breathing rapidly. ...very rapidly.
Could not wait any longer so decided to make a 75% water change and they seem to be doing much better.I will keep an eye on them and make more water changes if needed....fingers crossed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Add decor. A decor-less tank is very stressful for fish. PVC or fake rocks/corals will do fine. PVC is likely the cheapest. If you can, get some pieces large enough where your fish can fit inside of the tubing.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, actually you probably can. Some of those pieces can be pretty large, but the point being that anything you put in your tank is better than a bare tank, even if fish can't fit in it. You can create a rock-work-like structure that will provide the fish with a semblance of protection.