Better Ballast - Coralife or IceCap?

bluegill

whats the best bang for the buck ballast if i'm going to run 4 48" VHO bulbs... the coralife 4-lamp kit ($259) or the icecap model 660 ($185)?
anybody use either of these?

q

Don't know anything to help you out on which ballast is better but the icecap will let you use a dimmer if you want to spend the money.

bluegill

oh man -
very helpful posts!!! turning the bulbs on seperate is definately an issue. i guess i just assumed that they both allowed for that feature. i see icecap sells a digital timer... but thats only a timer for the whole kit and kaboodle eh? not individual bulbs?
money be not a factor in this investment. i mean... i don't want to throw out thousands, but i'm not budgeting on the lights. scrimping has killed me one to many times.
any other recommendations on good four 110 watt bulb ballasts that all run on seperate timers?
and more importantly (hehehe)... in your quote, is that S.T. the band?!?!?!
thank you
bg

q

If your concerned about turning bulbs on seperatly and you still want an icacap ballast use the solar 750 or solar 1000 light dimmer. Since money isn't a problem it is something you can consider.

bluegill

oh, sorry plato -
i didn't realize that was what you were getting at on your last post :)
just wondering... how does the dimmer work to use the lights independent of each other? is it timed? and do you know if it will run with the IceCap Model 660?
thx alot,
bg

q

Bluegill
I briefly checked out a retailer online and I believe this is how it works.
The Solar 750 lets you turn on the lights and program in the max intensity. When the lights come on at like 25% and then over a period of an hour reach the level you have decided on.
The Solar 1000 lets you pick the intensity and set it anywhere form 25% to 100%. You have full control of the time frame and output levels.
You won't have any individual bulb control but having all 4 on at 25% would give you the output of 1 bulb.
If you have any questions you can post your email and I'll give you a link.
Almost forgot. It will only work with icecap balasts and the 660 and 430 both work.
[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Plato ]

bluegill

great -
thx alot plato. i only found one site that had info on the solar dimmers... but the info wasn't very much. the link would be great.
my hotmail address is drfib@hotmail.com