Beware the lemonpeel

wvgolfer

A couple of months ago my lemonpeel was near death. In fact had I been able to scoop him out when I tried he would be gone. He recovered from whatever he had and has been one of the best fish I have ever had, they are trully a beautiful dwarf angel. But I have to tell you they have a temper. I recently added a tomato clown and the lemonpeel has not let him come out of the corner. I am shocked that he is picking on a clown, he also has beat to heck a royal gramma. Not sure why but beware the lemonpeel. :happyfish :notsure:

sleeper

Hey WVgolfer, do you have any evidence of the rumor that lemonpeels are good at eating cyanobacteria (red/brown slime algae)?
I've heard that and I'm currently experiencing a problem with it...

wvgolfer

Originally Posted by drea
really? i was actually considering getting one too.... :notsure:
Mine has turned out to be an extremely hardy fish. It is one I would recommend to anyone. I am just very suprised that he is chasing a clown and a gramma.

wvgolfer

Originally Posted by sleeper
Hey WVgolfer, do you have any evidence of the rumor that lemonpeels are good at eating cyanobacteria (red/brown slime algae)?

I have some red algae and I have never seen him pick at it at all. I do add green algae sheets which he does eat. He eats brine, flake and pellet.

hot883

Ok, this is the solution then. Take the LR and mix it all up. Actually better to do this before adding a fish like that, but...mix the rock up so now everyone has to look for a new place because it's all different. The LP is just defeneding his territory, Mixing it up losses his territory.

drea

i'm gonna most likely get one... just like everyone says, each fish is different!

aquapro_1

Number 1 rule, know your fish. Angels have to be the last tankmate. They are EXTREMELY protective of their territory!! Depending if you have another tank...Remove the lemon a few days..If not an option...It is manditory that you rearrange the tank. Clowns are peaceful & the undue stress of moving & new tank & now the lemon...It's a death sentence... Rearranging the tank gives new territory to everyone & may get the lemon off the clown!

hedonic

Originally Posted by sleeper
I read in Julian Sprung's algae book that that the kole and chevron tangs will eat cyano. I have not heard wether that is true or not however.

aquapro_1

Everything I have read about tangs have been about their tempers and how sensitive they are to water changes. I don't think they would be able to process cyan...if they can't live in that condition.....But that is my personal opinion, based on all the infor I have read. I am not a scientist & have no studies to base anything on.....