Bi-color blenny eating GSP!

92protruck

Everywhere I read it says the bicolor blenny is reef safe. I have had one a week now and he is mowing down every GSP in the tank. Any suggestions for a substitute food I could offer? He is currently eating prime reef flake and frozen mysis.

darknes

Sorry, but I found that humorous.
I've never heard of a blenny bothering gsp's at all.
I'm not sure there is really anything you could do to stop him. Either get rid of your blenny, or let him it eat the gsp's.

harlequin

Yeah, I have had several and never had nor heard of that problem before. I thnk yours is just special. You have the same options as the guy above me said.

clarkiiboi

Are you sure its a bi color? I have gotten fooled by a falsely named LMB (way back when) and that SOB took out my yellow polyps in a heartbeat. Mistakes can happen being new to a fish and trusting the LFS :mad: Double check what they look like here (if they have them listed for sell) and what you have. Another possibility may be that it is not eating them at all, but cleaning the mat. Do you actually see it eating the polyps? HTH

shoreliner11

LOL, its funny to me cause there's a lot of people who would love to have your blenny with his unique taste for gsp. In many tanks gsp overgrows and its a pretty big pain to get rid of. Thomas would like him:yes:

92protruck

Clarkiiboi, yes I see him actually eat the polyps. He runs at it grabs a mouth full and takes off. It seems like he does it when he's bored and has nothing better to do. He has eaten every polyp on the mat. Now I just have a purple mat to look at. I thought maybe he was missing greens in his diet and am thinking about buying some algae sheets or spirulina of something. Any suggestions? I am pretty sure he is a bicolor blenny except I never see him graze on algae or go near the glass.

wax32

Is he purple on the front half and gold on the back half? Mine doesn't touch my GSPs but he DOES love sushi algae sheets.

clarkiiboi

:notsure: Was there any algea covering the GSP's? If not, maybe try to move the GSP's out of it's territory. Getting more greens, like you mentioned, couldn't hurt. Other than that I really dont know. Only other thing I can think of is that is not a bi-color, but they are pretty hard to mistake.

92protruck

Thanks for your help. If they regrow I will move them. I will also try more greens. Yes, he is definitely a bicolor and no there was no algae on the GSP. Now that I think about it, I think he was trying to clear off his territory. Either he wants all the rock cleaned off within 4 or 5 inches of his hole or he doesn't like the movement of the GSP's and wants a quiet neighbor (or no neighbor).

T

thomas712

Originally posted by 92ProTruck
Everywhere I read it says the bicolor blenny is reef safe. I have had one a week now and he is mowing down every GSP in the tank. Any suggestions .

This fish is the spawn of the devil, you must get rid of it immediatly. Please send to Michigan care of Thomas712.
Please!

I've got a whole rock full of brown star polyps he can eat, he will be busy for weeks.
Note to self: If I don't get the blenny then I'm taking that huge rock out on the deck next week with my steamer and those polyps have had it.