BIG FISH

antwon

hi i am interested in keeping agressive, bigger fish in my tank. i have a 72 gallon bow aquarium but there is a lot of live and i feel it will get in the way of the bigger fish. should i take some out or rearange it?

btldreef

Originally Posted by antwon
http:///forum/post/3275700
um?? why?
With aggressive, larger fish, you need 100+ gallons. Aggressive fish are territorial and the more you have in a 72G, the worse things are going to be. Larger fish really isn't an option for a 72G tank, it's not that big! To devote a tank to larger, aggressive fish, 72G just isn't going to cut it.

fmarini

when i think of big aggressive fish- i think of big tanks 240-500gals and up
75gal-100 gals wont hold much fish, esp high waste producers.

R

rcreations

You need at least a 6' long tank for big fish. But it really depends on what you consider BIG fish.

antwon

well i know niger triggers aren't really as big as other triggers so i sorta want one of them and ever since i got my tank ive wanted a lion, but i was thinking of getting a dwarf or radiata cuz they don't get as big as volitans i haven't really had fish long as most of you know, but i realize that i'm starting to like the bigger fish cuz obviously they get big and they are really attractive i think(they can't go with inverts which i don't like)

btldreef

Honestly, all triggers except for a few are about the same as the full size Niger (1' - 1.5'). Some sites will tell you that Niger can go in a 70G, but I really think that you're doing a great injustice to the fish by putting it in that small of a tank.

antwon

Wat kind of bigger fish do u recommend for my tank or do u just think I shud stick with small reef fish

aquaknight

Most bigger fish also happen to be more active fish because they can afford to swim out from the rocks in the wild and not fear automatically getting preyed upon.
Like Rcreations mentioned earlier, it just depends on what your definition of a "large fish" is. A 3 foot Golden Pilot Jack is a large fish, but IMO so is something like a 6" Threadfin Butterflyfish.
For a 72gal bow, I would do something like a Dwarf Lionfish, a hardier Butterfly like a Raccoon, and a Marine Betta.

antwon

have any of you guys ever keep an undulate trigger cuz i hear they don't get as big. also, i heard that triggers attack lions. is this true or is the internet lying to me?

srfisher17

Keeping almost any trigger away from lions should be rule#1 with larger fish. Nothing gets along well, for long, with an Undulated Trigger---they're probably the meanest fish commonly available.

B

bigtankbigfish

I have had every type of trigger over the years. The most docile, prettiest, most active, slowest growth rate is the humahuma aka picasso. I can literally put my hand in the tank and pet him. He grows super slow. Get a juvi for your 72 and you wont regret it.
DO NOT BUY AN UNDULATE! He will kill every fish u ever add, guaranteed

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3276153
oh i guess they don't get along
are those your fish?
No, it's someone else, shared on another forum with the intent to help demostrate why triggers and lionfish don't make good tankmates.

antwon

Wow that's amazing maybe I'll look into gettin one of those I've seen them and they r pretty nice looking do u think I'll b able to put a small lion in with him or is that bad?

jtt

You want something really aggressive yet beautiful in a 72 bow front? Get a peacock mantis!

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3276302
Wow that's amazing maybe I'll look into gettin one of those I've seen them and they r pretty nice looking do u think I'll b able to put a small lion in with him or is that bad?
A Lion and a female maroon will be alright, but I'd go with a dwarf lion. Make sure you get a larger clown, if it's small the clown "coud" get eaten.