Big Mistake

dz-04

I have had my 125 gal. tank for a few years now and everything was well until I started a 30 gal. tank and used alot of water out of my 125. I guess I put back too much fresh water in my 125 gal. and all of my fish got ick so I removed them to a few treatment tanks at a local fish store. Getting to the point I can't remember how to raise my ph levels and my kh is out of wack also. Question #1 How do I repair my kh levels and how many drops should it take before it goes from blue to Yellow with the tetra kit (right now with my test kit it is taking about 5 drops)? Question #2 Whats the best way to raise my ph? Right now its at about 7.4
pH-7.4
NH3/NH4-0mg
NO2-.03mg
KH-? Need info based on above
Please help!!!

rbaldino

Hold on. When you took water from the 125, did you replace it with fresh water, or freshly mixed salt water?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Hold on. When you took water from the 125, did you replace it with fresh water, or freshly mixed salt water?
I am wondering the same thing...........

symon

Sounds like you dropped your salt level to fast! Try to fix that , it should bring alk, cal and Kh back up on it's own! If not , Once your salt level is back to proper specs then you can look into some additives.

sk8shorty01

I use a product called PH buffer and it works well. Just make sure your salinity is in check first off, before you add the buffer. Also, dont add the buffer straight into the tank, mix it in some top off water or in a water change. Good luck!

gillyweed

Originally Posted by dz-04
I have had my 125 gal. tank for a few years now and everything was well until I started a 30 gal. tank and used alot of water out of my 125. I guess I put back too much fresh water in my 125 gal. and all of my fish got ick
I may be misinterpreting this; but isn't hyposalinity one of the best treatments for Ick? How could it Cause Ick in his fish?

spanko

Probably stress related, chang in Ph, change in salinity etc. etc. Hypo needs to happen slowly over time and then the return to normal seawater happens slowly over time. Sounds like his change happened like right now.....

sk8shorty01

Originally Posted by Gillyweed
I may be misinterpreting this; but isn't hyposalinity one of the best treatments for Ick? How could it Cause Ick in his fish?

Hypo salinity is a cure for ich, but there is a science to it. The salinity drop did not cause the ich in the fish, the stress of the rapid change caused the fish to become suceptable (SP?) to the disease, which was already present in the tank. Hyposalinity is a consistant
drop in salinity over a course of 48 hours. By adding to much fresh water, you drop the salinity all at once, which will put the fishes entire system into a shock and will cause the fish's immune system to focus on just living rather than combatting disease.