Big Sabae anemone, will he split?

plum70rt

This guy is almost a year old, at least 24 inches across, when or will he ever split? anyone ever have one do so?

spsfreak100

Originally posted by mnreefman
they reproduce by spawing in the wild soi un less you got another spawing at the same time your stucj with one big sabae

False. Many anemones split in the wild. Usually, once the anemone has enough food to feed two anemones, the anemone will develope a second mouth. This mouth moves farther and farther away from the orginial mouth, and eventually a new anemone is formed. It's quite common in the wild and it isn't unusual if it happens. I would suspect having anemones sucessfully
spawn in captivity would be nearly impossible.
Plum,
That's one large Heteractis Crispa! Only time could tell if it will split.
Graham

shep

One of my friends has a ritteri anenome splitting right now. he popped out a second mouth and is starting to seperate. Seems to be a slow process. It's been going on about a month since the start of the second mouth. He feeds them both well and they seem to be doing fine. They also have been in the tank for a while now. His last one lived almost 4 years. However on the other hand the tank has been set up for 10-12 years or something. His fish have kids older than my fish.:rolleyes: