Big shark questions

reeferdude

Right now I have a very large tank on the drawing boards for a house that I am going to break ground on in the near future. The tank is going to be 12x5x5 which puts it in at around 2250 Gallons. I would like to keep some larger varieties of shark(s) that do well in captivity but I don’t know all that much about some of them. First off is the sand tiger, from what I gather they do very well in captivity but I know that they get up around 13 feet at maturity so I don’t think I would go with this guy. Second is the Bonnethead, I know very little about these guys but would love to learn more. Third is the blacktip reef shark, would a blacktip be ok for life in a tank this size? Also would these sharks be ok with large species of trigger like queens?

gibbus

Black tips get around 5'. Bonnetheads get around 4.9'. Bonnetheads are hardier to keep then blacktips. Triggers arent the best idea for sharks, queen triggers are really aggressive. If you want triggers i would suggest niger triggers and some of the other peaceful ones. Some good tankmates for sharks are groupers,goatfish, snappers, jacks, damselfish, moray eels.

reeferdude

lol, I don’t think damsels would last long with blacktips unless they had a lot of hiding spots. Well I had a site on my favorite place list before I reformatted that catered to large public aquariums that would sell large variety sharks that caught, but now I cant find it anywhere. Please post a link if you know of a site that sells fish like this!!!

jim27

Posting links to other sites like this one are against the rules.
And according to novices experience, blacktips will eat anything they can fit in there mouth. I think he's just about given up on trying to add "normal" fish to his tank.

novice150

Reeferdude: Here's my .02. Hope I dont burst any bubbles.:)
Sand tigers- Your right about their size, and they are also very temperamental. I would not even consider one in less than a 10-15k tank.
Bonnetheads & Black Tips: I think either of these would make a great addition to your tank. I personally would get one or the other though, not both. They are both very flighty, meaning they get startled easily and may even startle/harrass each other. Both of these sharks are also very active (eat alot) and would require 2x the filtration.
The tank size you are planning is huge, but IMO neither it or my tank for that matter, will be big enough to house a full grown requiem shark.
I know what web site you are referring to. Dont waste your time searching for it because they went out of biz. When your ready for the sharks, let me know and I'll give you the contact info on my source.
In terms of potential tank mates: I've found this to be the trickiest part of the whole process. My experience has proven that most other fish fall into two categories.
#1 Those which may/will bite, pick at, or sting the sharks.
#2 Lunch.
There are several which I have not yet tried, but all of the tangs, damsels, groupers, etc. etc. have been killed and eaten. Most just couldn't out run my black tip. Some could, and would hide, but the shark is very determined, once he'd made up his mind he would do whatever it took to get the fish. Jim27 was right about me being ready to give up. But, the sharks prey is not limited to what he can fit in his mouth or swallow. The shark recently explained this to me when I added a 8" Gerabaldi damsel. He has no problem making them "bite size."

reeferdude

NOVICE150:
lol, that sucks but its pretty funny. How about rays, do you think that either of those 2 sharks would bug a ray? The only downfall about having a ray is you would have to seriously cut down on the lr which means adding a HUGE refuge to get that added filtration. Have you had success with the leopard and bamboo in that tank or are there any problems?
OCEANCLEAR:
I would seriously reconsider having someone catch you a baby Bonnethead and then try and ship it. From what I understand even professional shark exporters have a very high mortality rate during shipping, and if you get it shipped plan and spend a ton of money because they are rather hard to ship because of their size. But then again I don’t know too awful much about bigger varieties of sharks, that’s Novice’s department.
JIM27:
Sorry I forgot about the posting to other store rule but I think this one would have been ok because all they sold was large sharks and exotic rays that swf.com doesn’t carry.

grouperhead

I don't think bonnetheads do too well in captivity. I'd look into wobbygong sharks. They get good size, but honestly, I don't know what you could keep with them. They have enormous mouths. Blacktips are cool, but you have to make sure you have someone to take him in when he gets too large. Bo

reeferdude

From what I gather bonnets do well in public/large aquriums and as far as finding it a home, well that will be the hard part because not to many places will take a 4 foot long shark.

novice150

Originally posted by Reeferdude
NOVICE150:
lol, that sucks but its pretty funny. How about rays, do you think that either of those 2 sharks would bug a ray? The only downfall about having a ray is you would have to seriously cut down on the lr which means adding a HUGE refuge to get that added filtration. Have you had success with the leopard and bamboo in that tank or are there any problems?
OCEANCLEAR:
I would seriously reconsider having someone catch you a baby Bonnethead and then try and ship it. From what I understand even professional shark exporters have a very high mortality rate during shipping, and if you get it shipped plan and spend a ton of money because they are rather hard to ship because of their size. But then again I don’t know too awful much about bigger varieties of sharks, that’s Novice’s department.
JIM27:
Sorry I forgot about the posting to other store rule but I think this one would have been ok because all they sold was large sharks and exotic rays that swf.com doesn’t carry.

I cant say for certain that either of these sharks will coexist peacefully with a ray. I think it depends on the size/species/health of the ray. I've never tried it, but heard it can be done. I plan to give it a shot in the future.
Unless you plan on buying HUGE pieces of LR, you will need to cut down on the LR either way. The sharks not only dig, but also are strong enough to rearrange the rock. I have literally seen a 4-5 lb piece of LR end up on the opposite end of the tank than where I placed it. Your going to have a hard time adding enough LR to aid in filtration anyway. The LR will be more for looks than anything else.
I've had good success keeping the black tip with the other sharks. Things have got heated during feeding a few times, but nothing serious.
The key to shipping these large sharks (black tip, bonnet heads) is youth. The young sharks ship very well, providing the shipper knows what they are doing.

rookie

ReeferDude - If you are going to build that tank I am very interested in seeing pictures of your process and find out how things are going. I am planning on building a tank myself in the next year or two here and am starting my research now to make sure I know what I want to do and hopefully avoid as many pitfalls as I can. Please email me and let me know how stuff is going and what you are planning. NickSchwarzrock@aol.com.
Thanks,
Nick

rookie

NOVICE150
How much a month do you estimate you spend on electricity for you tanks lighting, heating, and filtration? Also how many times a week do you have to feed your sharks? How much do you spend on feeding a month?
Nick

rookie

Reeferdude- Please update the message board with how your tank is progressing. I am very interested.
Nick

novice150

Nick: My electric bill increased by roughly $40-$50 when I started the tank. I feed the sharks every 2-3 days, and food costs from $50-$100 a month depending on what I buy. The sharks eat a wide range of foods, and some things cost more than others.