Big sun coral collections without probiotics?

N

nonphotosynt

Just wonder, if anyone here has collection of the sun corals (several medium-big colonies, not few heads) or dedicated tank (not too big, below 200g). If so, I would like to know, how do you maintain water quality without probiotics.

timeless1

I have a nano reef 10 gal, with 1 large 70+ heads, 1 large 50+ heads, 2 smaller 20+ heads. I feed every other day, and do regular 10-15% water changes once a week, and change my filter media every two weeks. My water parmeters are very good, a bit of cryno. I feed brine, mysis, phyotoplankton, and every once an a while table shrimp. Thriving and new heads each week. PM if you want more info.
Timeless1

fretfreak13

Oh! I had to jump on this question. =) Chuck Stottlemire came to talk to my reef club a few months ago and got all of us dreaming about non-photosynthetec tanks. He was just experimenting at home, but after having success with many coral that have yet to be really well propigated (even had spawnings) he caught the attention of a lot of scientists. Reef Mariculture sent him as much food as he wanted for free to help keep this tank up and running. Sadly it crashed to electrical reasons, but I can try to get his contact email or even phone number if you're interested.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/feature/index.php

king_neptune

nice find.
in short feeding small amounts continuously,(or at least more often)is better than large amounts l at once.

spanko

Nice stuff Timeless! All that in a 10 gallon and you are able to maintain water quality is a great accomplishment.

timeless1

Thanks Spanko, I spend about 1-3 hours a day with the tank, and weekly water changes keep the water parm in check.
Thanks Fretfreak13, I appreciate the link, and I would love to have Chuck Stottlemire contact info if you are able to get it.